New husband and wife team to pen turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

C&Tgray

We were gifted a used Jet 1014 lathe and dozens of pen kits and after taking a pen turing class on the 11/08/2023 we came home and started an inventory of everything we were gifted. We quickly realized we have no bushings for our kits. That stopped any hope of practicing what we learned in class. A google search using the number found on one of the kits brought us to this site. Now our hope is to use this site to locate a source for bushings, and anything else we might need.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. To answer your question, above in the blue stripping there are links and the one that says Resources will take you to our library. In there you will find a ton of info for many questions. One is a complete source for each kit and bushings. Now you will get a bunch of people on here touting various vendors and that is fine but you will in the end make your own decisions as to where to buy things. All our vendors have been vetted and used by many here and all are very good to deal with. here is the link I talked about.

https://www.penturners.org/resources/?order=title&direction=asc

its_virgil

First, welcome and you will find lots of information and helpful people here.

You should be able to determine where the kits were purchased by the numbers on the bags. There are a few manufacturers but SEVERAL retailers. Most retailers sell kits from various manufacturers. Check out the bushings and tube app here as well as manufacturers lists. Go to the library.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

howsitwork

Welcome and this is certainly a very informative site. Use JT's link to start off with then just enjoy exploring.

A husband and wife team so no issues for the next few millennia with Christmas gifts, wedding anniversary gifts, etc🤣🤣😉

You can never have too many useful tools…..

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP. You did not mention if you have a stock of 'starter blanks' just to get some 'shavings under your belts...' If you do not - let me know and I have a lot of blanks I can gift for practice as well as very acceptable pens.

Mike

Welcome from Albuquerque. Lots of info here. You will find that locating what you need is not too difficult if you have pen kit numbers. As mentioned above, Wayne has spent untold hours on the documents in the resources tab. Also, I have found what I needed by googling just bushing or pen kit numbers.
It can be addicting and soon you will be looking for kits, blanks and tools that you "need". But you can turn out beautiful pens with some pretty basic kit.

Mike

randyrls

Welcome! If you both intend to turn, his and hers lathes are definitely on the horizon. Keep an eye out locally. Lathes often come up for sale. A cell phone app for both Apple and Android phones is available called "Tubes n Bushings" (SP?)

Check out AAW for a local woodturning club near you. Nothing beats standing beside someone and being able to ask questions. Look for a woodturning club in your area. AAW has chapters all over. https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturn...pter/Woodturner/AAWConnects/AAW-Connects.aspx

C&Tgray

Thank you to all for the warm welcome. Now for the question that is keeping us from using the kits we have. How loose or tight should the bushing be when inserted into the brass tubes? We have kits, but no bushings.

randyrls

The bushings should be a close slip fit to the tube. If you have the kits and kit names/numbers you should be able to find out the bushing part numbers and sizes. Some resellers will change the name on the kit or what THEY call it to make it look like they have exclusive kits. Not true though, there are only 2 or 3 manufacturers of the kits. Look on The Internet Archive aka Way back Machine Archive.org and pick a time when the kit should have been made. This may take some tries to get. There are several charts of kits and bushings here on IAP under the Resource, Library menu.

Jans husband

Can I suggest that you look into the possibility of turning between centres (TBC) and you would not need any bushes at all.
I was reluctant to abandon bushes but after a few attempts, it really is straight forward, and now I don't buy bushes at all.
Plenty of videos on you tube to get you going
Mike
ps. Welcome!

Top Bottom