New Hip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PreacherJon

Well, last Thursday I got a new right hip. I have officially now, have had every limb have a major operation. And I must say, I think (so far) this has been the easiest of all the recoveries. I'm now on crutches and have gone down the stairs and takes a few walks in front of the house. Staying good on the pain meds, yet I'm not really loopy. For those of you who know the difference, I had An anterior hip replacement. I think having it done this way has been a big advantage so far in the recovery. I don't plan on doing much turning for a while. Especially with winter coming on and I have no heat in my shop at the moment. But, its' all good. I do get to play golf this coming spring. I've not been able to play for 2 seasons.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Glad you are doing OK. With all the surgeries, are you now the Six Million Dollar Man? Facing knee replacement in the coming years until the injections don't help. Cataract surgery is sometime in the future, too.
Golf- A guy said he was going to take up the game. Didn't know anything about it but he said he knew all the words.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I hope you recover well! Which one did you get? Mine is Ceramic & Titanium. Dr. said it would last about 15 years. It's now been 16 years. I intend to make it last the rest of my life. Reading about a secondary replacement, is discouraging. As they are not as pleasant as the primary replacement. Partial knee replacement went well, except for that evil old therapist.
Best of luck with your recovery!

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt..
While no surgery is "easy", the hip replacement (like yours and mine) has gravity going for it. That's nice 'cause you don't want to battle mother nature (a losing effort). Glad things are going well so far.
Since you have had other "stuff" done, I'm probably preaching to the choir, but don't skimp on the PT.. It's IMPORTANT.
And - one other thing: Be cautious of the pain meds. Get off them as soon as you can.
Best wishes

PreacherJon

Interesting thing about therapy. My Dr. doesn't believe in it for a hip. He believes getting up and just walking several time a day... then just slowly improving on that is all is needed. He think therapist, wear you down to much with hips. I'll see him 2 weeks after surgery, and then if he thinks I need therapy he'll prescribe it then. As to meds... yea, I've never had a problem with them. I hate the 'loopy'/'high' feeling. I don't understand at all why people like being like that.

pshrynk

My brother, who is a physical therapist disagrees, but that is one of those things that is specific to the case. Maybe an anterior replacement is less troublesome than the other type. I'm staring a knee replacement down the barrel. So far the injections are working long enough that I can get the renewals in adequate gaps. Now if I could just get a spinal column replacement for the spinal stenosis... God, I'm sounding like my grandmother.

PreacherJon

The official physical therapist at the hospital disagrees with it as well. At the education class he asked how many people had my Dr in the room. I'm was the only one that day. I'm on my 6th day after surgery and I can walk without crutches a few steps. But I don't trust that at the moment. I have also been doing the exercises they recommend as well. So, next week we shall see what the Doc thinks. I'm actually dying of boredom and want to go to the gym really bad! I would at least like to to some upper body workouts. Wife won't take me. lol

I had my left knee fully replaced 6 years ago. I had a first tough 2 weeks but after that I kicked into gear. At the moment, it does seem tougher than a hip recovery. But it was not overly difficult... just takes more time. About 5 months after the surgery I knew I was good because I totally forgot about the knee and just went right up some steps. So far, the toughest I've had to recover from was a rotator cuff surgery. Don't ever want to go through that again.

Best wishes for you and your future medical needs!

Woodchipper

When I had my injection, the doctor told me, "I'm not saying your are overweight but for every pound you lose, you take seven pounds off the knees." So...10 pound equals seventy pounds off the knees. So, I'm mentioning this just after I ate a piece of chocolate cake.

I hope you recover well! Which one did you get? Mine is Ceramic & Titanium. Dr. said it would last about 15 years. It's now been 16 years. I intend to make it last the rest of my life. Reading about a secondary replacement, is discouraging. As they are not as pleasant as the primary replacement. Partial knee replacement went well, except for that evil old therapist.
Best of luck with your recovery!
Chuck, we gotta talk about your knee. I've got two to replace sooner than later. How does a partial knee replacement work? Anything ever done with your lower back? I think the hips are okay for now.

Top Bottom