New High Caliber Carbide Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from egnald

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska!

This was a new tool building week for me. I just finished up building six new High Caliber carbide turning tools. They are just short of 24-inches long (handle is about 16 inches long and the tool extends out about 7-inches). They all use the standard Mid-Sized EWT sized cutters. The tools are built on 3/8-inch square steel bars and 3/8-inch steel hex rods. The tips were ground, filed, and sanded to shape and then I drilled, countersunk, and tapped a 4-40 thread for the screws that hold the cutters on. I turned the handles from Hickory and finished them with OB's Shine Juice and a coat of microcrystalline wax. The ferrule is a 3/4-inch PEX Pipe Connector (I really like formed radiuses on these as I think they make a more professional looking tool). I glued on some labels and topped them each with a 1-inch clear glass cabochon for easy identification.

The steel rods were finished with a coat of Super Blue Liquid Gun Blue and each handle was loaded with fifteen Oregon Trails 158 grain 357 Magnum lead bullets to add weight - i.e. High Caliber tools. ;)

Introducing the family (left to right from the cutter end as shown in the Thumbnails):
1) A tool with a 20-degree down angle on the end to make a 20-degree negative rake using a standard square with radius carbide cutter.
2) A tool with a 20-degree down angle on the end to make a 20-degree negative rake using a standard round carbide cutter.
3) A flat (standard) tool for holding a sharp pointed diamond shaped carbide cutter.
4) A flat (standard) tool for holding a square carbide cutter.
5) A tool made on a hex rod to provide a 30-degree shear scraper when held flat using a round carbide cutter.

6) A tool made on a hex rod to provide a 30-degree shear scraper when held flat using a square with radius carbide cutter.

This weekend I will have to build some pens with acrylic, maybe Inlace, so I can give the negative rake tools a workout.
It was a fun project. The materials cost just under $9 for each tool not counting the carbide cutter itself.
Not a bad set of tools for under $50 bucks!

Regards,
Dave

IMG_2761 (Cropped).jpg
IMG_2769 Cropped.jpg
IMG_2768 Cropped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Very nice Dave. What cutters did you use: Easy Wood, AZ Carbide or something else?

Do you have a milling machine? You saved some serious dollars there. Well done.

Most of the cutters were from AZ Carbide, but a couple may have been official Easy Wood as I used to buy Easy Wood until I found AZ Carbide and started going to them. I wish I had a milling machine it would have made the job so much easier! For a while I thought about calling in some "old retired guy" favors from the machine shop I used to manage, but I did it the old fashioned way with a grinder, bastard file, and 1-inch belt sander. Surprisingly, the belt sander removed material the fastest - even faster than the grinder.

I was proudest of myself for drilling and tapping the 4-40 threads without breaking any taps off - that's quite a feat for me, I usually hear that "tink!" sound at least once when I am tapping something that small. I just started using Tap Magic cutting oil instead of 3-in-1 so maybe that is what saved me. - Dave

Top Bottom