New here so just learning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hzsimms

hzsimms

Hi, I'm Howard and I'm a newbie to this kind of pen turning (I've turned oblique calligraphy pens off and on for a few years). I must say this is quite the addictive hobby you have here. I'm an old time fountain pen geek and have a large collection but these new ones I'm turning are forcing me to have to find new space to display everything. Thought I'd put a couple of photos up and get some feedback from more experienced turners.

A271EB96-1B2C-419C-B8ED-98C5CAE065BD.jpeg
B49923A2-18B9-4693-8B3C-47BD4CF6C50E.jpeg

I hope these aren't too large. This tablet isn't giving me a pixel count. Sorry. Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Welcome Howard. Lovely pens! Fitment and finish look good. I don't treat the nib/blank joint the same as you, but I like it. If forced to offer a small criticism, I much prefer the profile of the first pen over the second. The lower barrel on that one just, to my eye, doesn't match the top and is just a wee bit "pregnant" for my taste--this is just opinion--the workmanship looks great from what I can see.

Regards,
Michael

WarEagle90

Wow, great looking pens, Howard. I would love to know more about the blanks you used. Also, welcome aboard. Great group of folks here.

hzsimms

Thanks for the kind words, I genuinely appreciate them. I've been very impressed with everything about this forum so far, seems like a terrific group of people.

Yeah, Michael, I get it about the one end being a bit "pregnant". I had a calligraphy pen flashback on that one!

Dan, the blanks on the first pen are box elder burl and some pieces of acrylic left over from one of the calligraphy pens. The second one is walnut and maple. The maple was supposed to be "flame" maple but that particular piece had exactly zero figure in it and was an exceedingly boring piece of wood so I dyed it with alcohol ink.

Thanks again everyone and I expect I'll be yelling for help soon!

Howard

Top Bottom