New guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cae2100

Hi, Im new here, and new to pen turning, but Im very quickly picking it up and hoping that before long, I can make something that looks nice.

I have a little wood lathe made of random pieces of steel that I cobbled together, and machined up a live center for the tailstock, and spur center for a 1725 rpm motor I had laying around. It seems to work pretty well so far. Im a machinist and foundryman by trade, but it is fun to do free hand turning sometimes too like you would with a pen. So far, Ive just made a few dip pens since I like collecting calligraphy pens, and figured that it was time to try my hand at making a few myself that fit my hands better, lol.

Dont laugh, but here's the one Ive been using most lately, just a quick turning job really. It's made of sycamore, and while it is a bit short, it really is comfortable to use. Im not a wood turner at all as you can probably see.

Attachments

• 20210727_220706_HDR.jpg
    20210727_220706_HDR.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 100
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

Welcome! I lived in the Springfield area for about 9 years, my brother still lives there. Machinist here as well. Made one of my first lathes as well. Good way to start.

darrin1200

Hi, Im new here, and new to pen turning, but Im very quickly picking it up and hoping that before long, I can make something that looks nice.

I have a little wood lathe made of random pieces of steel that I cobbled together, and machined up a live center for the tailstock, and spur center for a 1725 rpm motor I had laying around. It seems to work pretty well so far. Im a machinist and foundryman by trade, but it is fun to do free hand turning sometimes too like you would with a pen. So far, Ive just made a few dip pens since I like collecting calligraphy pens, and figured that it was time to try my hand at making a few myself that fit my hands better, lol.

Dont laugh, but here's the one Ive been using most lately, just a quick turning job really. It's made of sycamore, and while it is a bit short, it really is comfortable to use. Im not a wood turner at all as you can probably see.
Welcome from up North.
I love the idea of a custom built lathe.šŸ˜‰

If your interested in calligraphy holders, check out Christopher Yoke. I learned how to make holders through him. He has a couple of excellent videos.

Bats

Welcome to the party - I'd love to see some pictures of that lathe you built, too.

My first lathe (and I use the term loosely) was a DIY job too (or rather, a Do-It-Someone-Else's-Self, since I picked it up for about $20 off craigslist) - although it sounds like it was significantly less sturdy than yours, just based on relative steel content alone. Mine was built of aluminum bar stock with rods for ways, a motor with a shaft threaded to take a jacobs chuck as a headstock, and what I believe was a boring bar holder from a Hardinge turret lathe used as a metal lathe-style compound slide (with no cross slide. or maybe it was a pivoting cross slide with no compound?). I then compounded the mess by putting a long bar in the makeshift lantern-style tool post to use as a tool rest for manual turning. I'll have to see if I can find any pictures of it later.

Jans husband

Build a lathe??
I can't even turn a proper decent pen on a shop bought lathe sometimes!!!!
Where do you get your skills from?
Obviously not a distance learning course!! I am in awe!!
Mike

cae2100

It's technically not completely a homemade lathe since some parts, I didnt make, but a family member got a junk box at an auction and inside of it was some pieces of a toy mini wood lathe, but the ways were completely rusted up and corroded/pitted and everything was siezed up, it was missing the tool rest, and motor was shot. I replaced the shafts/ways on it with some chrome plated tube I had and just screwed a piece of wood to the carriage to act as a tool rest. I then stuck a 1/4HP motor that I had laying around, I think it was from a very old clothes dryer on it as the headstock, then welded and machined up a spur center for it. The spur center was just made the same as a homemade spade bit, just a piece of round stock that is slitted in half with the angle grinder and a piece of steel is welded in, then turned to size and so it's true. I did that, then cut it 90 degrees from the first blade in the middle and welded in another, that gave the 4 teeth for the spur bit. It was quick and dirty, but it did work pretty well. I still need to make an adapter for the motor for it to use a drill chuck, but that is pretty easy. As you can see, it was one of those thrown together jobs to see if it was something I would even get interested in tbh, but it does work pretty well. Ill make up an adjustable table rest coming up from some angle iron or something so I can adjust it in to the work.

20210725_213122.jpg
20210802_213201.jpg

The thing came with a dead center, and you constantly had to keep resetting it, so you spent more time fighting with it than turning, so I found two bearings in the one drawer that were just laying there from something I tore apart, and made up a little live center with those bearings and some random pieces of steel that I had sitting there at the time.

20210725_213300.jpg

Ive done a little blacksmithing too and have made up some scrapers and a gouge to go with it out of some large spring washers, and have been using those so far. Here's the one I use the most so far, it just has a beeswax finish on it and I have no idea what type of wood it is, it was just what I grabbed off of the woodpile, lol. So far, the wood lathe really was just being used to turn file handles and handles for screwdrivers.

DSC06091.JPG

As for my shop, I have a small machine shop where I do odd jobs for local farmers and people around where I live, just fixing things or making things, whether it be machining it up or casting something out. Most of the machines are from between 1893 to 1925, all flat belt driven. As for where I picked up how to do that stuff, I mainly just got the machines and started playing with them, after a few youtube videos on some stuff I was interested in, the rest was history, lol.

DSC02291.JPG
DSC02300.JPG
DSC02304.JPG

Ive always liked messing with dip pens and calligraphy sets, but could never find one that I really liked how it fit in the hand, so a few weeks back, I found a few boxes of old nibs at a thrift store and figured I'd try my hand at making a pen/holder for them, and it's kinda progressed from there. I have the stuff coming to make a few slimline pens, which as soon as the tubing and everything gets here, Ill make up the drill chuck adapter and an arbor to turn everything on.

Sorry about the pic spam, but you guys asked, lol.

Last edited:

Bats

Your shop's a lot prettier than mine - as are your machines. I've got a 80s-era South Bend Light 10, and a probably-maybe-possibly 50s-70s small knee mill (no one's ever seen one even vaguely similar from the company, so it's a bit of a mystery). I'm puzzled by a couple of them, though... I can't quite identify what's in the first picture... and is that machine on the left in the second one a shaper?

Speaking of [less than] pretty machines (I still think it's kinda cute), here's my first lathe:
PXL_20210803_181652490.jpg
PXL_20210803_181707767.jpg

Back in its glory days, with "tool rest" installed, turning an impractical pen:
IMG_20170402_241742655_HDR.jpg

cae2100

That's a pretty neat little lathe and looks like it would defenitely work well for turning pens and wooden handles for things. Defenitely alot more work into it than mine, that shows for sure, lol. I just threw my little lathe together in an afternoon with what I had laying around to get the thing running, and figured I'd try turning a pen/nib holder to see how it worked, and have been playing with making them since. It seems to work pretty well so far, but if I were to really get into it much more seriously, I'd probably just make up some patterns and pour the parts for a real mini wood lathe, just pour it in cast iron so I dont have to worry about it flexing or anything.

The saw in the first pic is an 1893 stover novelty works power hacksaw, it works great for cutting up stock, and has really never given me much trouble. The machine on the left in the second pic is a 1923 rhodes 7" shaper, drill press next to it is a 1903 canedy & otto drill press, lathe is 1913 monarch jr, and the mill is the newest, which is rockwell horizontal mill from 1960s. There's also a die filer off to the side that gets used to death too that I cast out and machined up also a number of years ago.

Really, I just joined up to be able to read through the the IAP documents and see how everything is done, and get various ideas for the pens. I think Ive read through a good portion of them and there's some pretty cool tricks that you dont see with the machining stuff, like the pin drive mandrels, and I can see myself using that trick coming up on various other things, lol. I tend to read and look through everything I can, just figuring it out through messing with the stuff, guides/documents, and everyone else's questions, that way I dont post the same questions that really has been asked so many times before.

I was looking at your pictures and wondering how you were driving that pen with the drill chuck? Up till now, usually I just drove the file handles and such with a screw in the chuck, to use it as a drive screw, but pens now, Ive been using that spur center. It doesnt look like your really holding onto a turned down section, or a drive screw, so was curious how you were driving that.

Last edited:

Bats

That's a pretty neat little lathe and looks like it would defenitely work well for turning pens and wooden handles for things.
Well, it was good for pens - I don't think I ever tried it for anything larger. It had an extremely limited swing, maybe 10" between centers, and the makeshift-tool-rest-in-a-makeshift-tool-holder arrangement wasn't sturdy enough for heavy turning.... but it was pretty neat to work with, and I really wish I could've met whoever made it (it was at least third hand by the time it made it to me).

Defenitely alot more work into it than mine, that shows for sure, lol.
Maybe... but what I found most interesting is how simply it was made. It looks like the whole thing was probably built with nothing more than a drill (press, presumably), some variety of saw, a couple taps, and a screwdriver. No welding, no milling, no turning.

I just threw my little lathe together in an afternoon with what I had laying around to get the thing running, and figured I'd try turning a pen/nib holder to see how it worked, and have been playing with making them since. It seems to work pretty well so far, but if I were to really get into it much more seriously, I'd probably just make up some patterns and pour the parts for a real mini wood lathe, just pour it in cast iron so I dont have to worry about it flexing or anything.
I wish I had that option. My original path to a lathe was going to be building one ala David Gingery's "Build Your Own Metal Working Shop From Scrap" books, but setting up a foundry out frount got nixed as too messy, and out back got nixed as being too close to the woods. Probably for the best, though - I'm sure I would've gotten distracted halfway through the sand casting book, gone off on a wild tangent into something like jewelry casting, and never gotten around to the lathe.

Really, I just joined up to be able to read through the the IAP documents and see how everything is done, and get various ideas for the pens.
Y'hear that, boys? He just said he was here to steal our docs!

Well, y'know what we say to doc thieves around here?

Have at it!

I tend to read and look through everything I can, just figuring it out through messing with the stuff, guides/documents, and everyone else's questions, that way I dont post the same questions that really has been asked so many times before.
I tend to do the same - and the forums have a handy feature where before I go to post a new thread, it suggests a list of other threads that I was probably just too lazy to search for in the first place, which helps keep me from asking things for the hundredth time. Still, it seems like there are always more questions that haven't been asked yet, or that haven't quite gotten satisfactory answers yet - or that have room for new twists and tricks (although "How do you apply a CA finish?" does seem pretty well played out).

I was looking at your pictures and wondering how you were driving that pen with the drill chuck? Up till now, usually I just drove the file handles and such with a screw in the chuck, to use it as a drive screw, but pens now, Ive been using that spur center. It doesnt look like your really holding onto a turned down section, or a drive screw, so was curious how you were driving that.
For most of the pens on that one, I just used a standard 7mm pen mandrel (which, like 3/4" NPT pipe isn't 3/4", isn't actually 7mm at all, but around .247"), but that doesn't work for closed-end pens, so I had to do something different - and I think you already stumbled across the answer.

The tail end was held on the sharpened-rod-in-a-plain-bearing "live center", and I believe the front end (which was tubed like half of a 7mm/slimline pen) was driven on a hand-filed (this was long before I had the mill) pin chuck based on Don Ward/its_virgil 's designs in the library (see below), held in the headstock Jacobs chuck :

There's also a slim chance I was using Skiprat's O-ring pin chuck, although I don't think I ever got that one to work for me :

(I didn't get Don's to work very well, either - it was pretty crudely made with the limited tools I had available at the time. I've always meant to give it another try, now that I could make a better one, but just haven't found the motivation to try another closed-end pen yet - or at least anything I couldn't just drive with a dead center)

Top Bottom