New guy from South Carolina

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ivel

Hi all, just joined today. I bought my lathe used a few months ago to teach myself how to make wood rings and bangles. My wife and I make silver plated flatware jewelry and I wanted to add something new.

When I bought the lathe it had 20 or 30 pen kits and wood blanks along with a slew of tools and accessories. I pushed the pen stuff to the side and started making the rings and bangles. I went to our local wood working supply store, Mann Tool, (I hope it's ok to mention them, if not tell me and I'll edit it) and they had a Saturday thing happening. Turn a Purple Heart pen for a deployed soldier for $5.00. I went and liked it and been hooked since.

I'm still learning but pretty confident in myself. Still make dumb mistakes. I'm pretty interested in trying something challenging. I've heard about kitless pens but have yet to investigate them. I'm also REALLY interested in laser engraving my pens. I'd like to buy one of the cheap Chinese engravers but hate to throw $100.00-$150.00 away and a real one in not in the budget.

I'm gonna swim around here and try to soak up some knowledge from y'all. I'm probably gonna ask the same questions that every noobie asks. Hope y'all are friendly and patient and nobody bites.

Thanks, ivel.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP Ivel! Ask away, yes some of us do bite, but most just nibble.

Ignore the bites and the rest will have thoughts for you to consider. And the library has a wealth of knowledge tucked away.

Cheers, Mark

MDWine

Welcome aboard.
There is no place like this place near this place... this MUST be THE place!
The key here is to participate! Ask questions when you have'm, answer questions when you can, and make friends!

JimB

Welcome from western NY State. There is a wealth of information on here to help you down the paths you mention. Check out the various forums, the library and do some searches but also ask any questions you have. There are always people willing to help.

Top Bottom