New guy from Ohio

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Browncoat

Hello! :biggrin:

A little backstory: We moved my wife's father (a recent widower) in with our family a few of months ago. I knew he turned pens, so I revamped our garage and built a sizable new workshop for him. I even built a lathe stand, custom tailored to his height.

Fast forward to last week. With all of the hubbub surrounding the funeral and the hustle and bustle of summer activities, he hasn't really had time to make any pens. Last week, he showed me the process and I took to it like a fish to water since I have previous experience working with metal on a lathe.

At any rate, we're both sort of newbies at this and would like to get better. All we have are 7mm twist kits and after successfully turning my first acrylic pen, I would like to start making some rollerball kits for the upcoming holiday season.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome!

Hi Anthony, welcome from Medina.

Below is a link to a cookout/Ohio Chapter meeting in a few weeks. We would love to meet you and your father-in-law.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f84/august-ohio-meeting-cook-out-133756/ :bananen_smilies022:

Not sure where you are in Ohio, but we meet pretty regularly at Hartville Hardware.

Ask for any more info you need.

Have FUN!

thewishman

Hey Anthony, if you can make 7mm pens, you can do the exact same thing to make any other pen. Most kits use the same techniques and methods, you just use bigger bushings.

If you're anywhere close, let me know if you'd like to come by in downtown Columbus.

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Welcome from Elyria in Northern Ohio. Come see us at an Ohio meeting. The next meeting is a cookout at my house. We are going to make polymer clay pens. The whole family is invited.

Browncoat

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!

I'm in Sidney, OH...a little podunk town on I-75 between Dayton and Lima.

Jontello

Welcome. I have only been turning for like 6 months. This is a great place to learn and get feedback. I will be going to the cook out and have been to a meeting with the local chapter here. A great place to learn and be with likeminded people. If you can come to the cookout come. Anyway welcome.

flyitfast

Howdy!! A big Texas welcome. You found a great learning and inspiring place here at IAP. And the suggestion to visit and join a nearby club is always a great way to meet, swap stories, and learn.
Check out the IAP Library - also a great resource for learning.
Gordon

oneleggimp

Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan 48230 United States o
Hello! :biggrin:

A little backstory: We moved my wife's father (a recent widower) in with our family a few of months ago. I knew he turned pens, so I revamped our garage and built a sizable new workshop for him. I even built a lathe stand, custom tailored to his height.

Fast forward to last week. With all of the hubbub surrounding the funeral and the hustle and bustle of summer activities, he hasn't really had time to make any pens. Last week, he showed me the process and I took to it like a fish to water since I have previous experience working with metal on a lathe.

At any rate, we're both sort of newbies at this and would like to get better. All we have are 7mm twist kits and after successfully turning my first acrylic pen, I would like to start making some rollerball kits for the upcoming holiday season.
Welcome from Michigan

Top Bottom