New Grandson Baby Rattles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PreacherJon

PreacherJon

My first grandchild, a boy is going to be four months old. So, I decided to test the waters on something new. Four baby rattles because I didn't know if I'd blow any of them out. Variants of Paduak, Walnut, and Maple. With 21 BB's inside each bell.

(By the way, the Bear is MINE! It is a limited edition, Jack Nicklaus Bear that my wife was able to procure for me about 5 years ago)

Attachments

• Baby Rattles.png
    Baby Rattles.png
    749.5 KB · Views: 195
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penicillin

Very nice!

My guess is the cavities are drilled through the ends of the central "hourglass" board, then the BBs added and the side panels glued on, then turned. Correct?

PreacherJon

Two boards are glued. After dry, I bored two,1 1/4" holes through what will be the middle board. Put the BBs in... and then glued the outside piece over top the holes. I then use a guide jig I made to mark the lines on the turning after round. The jig comes in handy if I lose where I'm at... and I just mark it again. The jig I designed is for a 7" x 2 1/2" spindle.

Attachments

• rattle jig 1.jpg
    rattle jig 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 118
  • rattle jig 2.jpg
    rattle jig 2.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 145

penicillin

Thanks for sharing. I made a mahogany rattle a couple years ago for a new family member. Your design is more elegant and much simpler. I wish I had seen a rattle like that back then.

For my rattle, I used a bandsaw to make crosscuts at the ends of mahogany turning block, drilled the cavities to measure, inserted stainless steel ball bearings, glued the bandsaw cuts (to hide the glue joints as much as possible, like a bandsaw box). When I turned the rattle, I prayed a lot. I used calipers for frequent measurements. The middle "decorative" lines hide the bandsaw cuts. I am attaching my drawings for your interest and for others. Those diagonal lines in the drawing were to make sure there was a minimum 1/8 inch wall thickness all around, but some of that "cushion" was probably eaten up through slight off-centeredness and imperfect measurements.

Mahogany Rattle.JPG

Attachments

• Baby Rattle Drill Guide 24jul19.pdf
    26.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Top Bottom