New From Ohio Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soccer2010

My 12" Jet lathe should arrive soon and I bought some blanks from this website. I've never turned before but plan to start with pens. I want to spend the minimum amount but start with good tools and make good pens. Help
What 1 or 2 chisels should I start with?
What sanding method?
What Finish method?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

My 12" Jet lathe should arrive soon and I bought some blanks from this website. I've never turned before but plan to start with pens. I want to spend the minimum amount but start with good tools and make good pens. Help
What 1 or 2 chisels should I start with?
What sanding method?
What Finish method?

John; You will need a 1/2" or so spindle gouge and a skew chisel. A narrow parting tool will make pens that require tenons.

Sand using sandpaper cut into strips about 3/4" wide. I start at 320, 400,600,2000 Then 0000 Steel Wool. Sand with lathe spinning, stop lathe and sand with grain. Wipe off the blanks, then go to the next grit.

Friction polish finish is quick and easy, but CA finish is more durable and glossy. I would not recommend the HUT PPP sticks unless you need candles!

I'd suggest going to YAHOO Groups and reading the FAQ document in the Penturners group.

If you have never done any turning, check out the members list here and look for someone local. See if they will give you some pointers.

With any power tool, you need to practice safe woodworking!

The most important part is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

If you have a local Woodcraft store check to see if they have a woodworking club, many do. Go to the meeting and ask if anyone makes pens.

Welcome. Enjoy!

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome to the group. Randy's given you the basics and he is right about finding someone to teach you. As someone who has had to teach himself woodturning I can't tell you how often I wished I had someone in the shop with me showing me how to do it. That being said, it can be done. Get yourself some good books and videos and study them before you ever touch the lathe. When you do start to turn get yourself plenty of wood to practice on and then just get comfortable using the various tools. I was fortunate that when I got my lathe I had just cut down a tree so I had plenty of nice green wood to practice on. Green wood turns easier so it make great wood to practice with. If you don't have a tree you can cut branches off of, get some 2X4's to practice with.
Your already off to a good start, your asking questions. In learning any new skill that's the most important part. Also don't be afraid to admit your mistakes and ask for help. After all you probably won't make any mistake I haven't already done, remember I didn't have anybody in the shop with me saying "NO YOU IDIOT, THAT'S NOT THE WAY I SHOWED YOU!":redface::biggrin:

flyingmelon

Another place to post about getting help is in the Local Chapters sub forum. There is an Ohio chapter that meets as a group. Not sure what part of Ohio they are in but someone might be close enough that you could visit with them.

Jim15

Welcome John. I live in Fairfield Ohio, just north Of Cinci. If I can be of any help let me know. PM me if you would like my phone nr.:)

Top Bottom