New from Arizona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello my name is Jessica. I am very new to this whole idea of pen turning, but I want to try. I tried out my lathe for the first time today and have a lot to learn. I bought a couple of padauk blanks and a pencil kit, but want to figure out what I am doing before I use it. I included a picture of my first 2 things I managed to turn today.

Attachments

• 20191016_105219.jpg
    20191016_105219.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 132
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Welcome Jessica! I've only been turning a year myself. First thing I did was watch a bunch of videos on how to use turning tools to help me to turn safely. That also includes a faceshield just in case. Your getting there. My beginnings were just getting comfortable with my tools and getting to know each one and what they do. Once you get comfortable, you will enjoy your lathe very much. I use mine more than what I ever thought I would. There are a lot of very experienced people on this forum, so don't be afraid to ask any questions. I've learned a lot from these guys!

FGarbrecht

Welcome and good job on your first turnings! Watch some turning and pen-making videos, take a class if you can. Remember always safety first (get a face mask if you don't have one). Ask questions! Have fun!

PBorowick

Welcome from Portland! I got my first lathe a few months ago and have been having a lot of fun making shavings.
I took a beginning class at Woodcraft and learned a lot about spindle turning and tool use in those 6 hours.
I would recommend it if you have the time.

1shootist

Welcome to the penturners forum Jessica.
I have to agree with the others, watching youtube videos helped me a lot when I started turning wood.
I cut up regular lumber into pen size blanks for practice.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Ohio.

Your picture is EXACTLY what you should be doing - Kudos: Get a bunch of scrap wood, and "just play, experiment and learn." All the above comments are excellent - watch videos, take some classes if close by, look for an AAW club, look for other IAP members close by to visit. But above all, simply get some wood on your lathe and get experience.

I have gotten a bunch of replacement broomsticks at a dollar store, cut them into 6 - 8" lengths and simply turned them down to nothing; one blank per tool. After 5-10-15 blanks, you will have spent $3.00 and gotten a world of initial experience. After doing this, watching the videos will make much more sense.

Have FUN!

magpens

Hi Jessica !! . Welcome to IAP !!

Your first turnings look very good !! . We all started by doing something like that !

For your first pen kid, I would like to recommend the 30 Caliber Bolt Action. . You can find it here in a number of different platings:

You can also find it at other suppliers like BearToothWoods.com and ExoticBlanks.com

The reason I recommend it for starters is because it is a simple, straight-sided barrel which is an easy design to start.
That makes it somewhat forgiving as far as accuracy goes. . You can always correct any surface irregularities with sanding.
Also, finishing and polishing is a rather easy and enjoyable exercise.

On top of that, it is a rather novel design for a pen ... one that attracts comments and compliments !
It makes a good give-away for a friend.

Happy turning !!

howsitwork

welcome , it's addictively good fun.
With paduak please wear a face shield and dust mask , otherwise you might , like me , think you've got a nose bleed when you sneeze ( and you will ! ) after sanding it.
I just tried a slim line at our wood club and got hooked. Must admit i like the bullet type pens shown though .

have fun

Warren White

Hi Jessica,
When I was a little pup, I lived in Clarkdale, which isn't too far from you. My sister (retired, but teaching still) lives in Cottonwood.

Welcome to IAP! I hope you find this hobby as fun, satisfying, refreshing, etc., etc., as I do. It is GREAT, and the folks on this forum are amazing!

Top Bottom