New from Abita Springs, La.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

p8ntballmike

I recently viewed a pen making documentary on the Science Channel and I instantly became fascinated with pen turning. I've been searching the web for info and have a few questions.

Any suggestions on starter kits? Wanting to start with a mild budget in mind.

Where do I find info on the different pen styles? Slimeline, cigar.....etc

Why has the penturning bug gotten me so fascinated???? I've have seen some beautiful work in here. :good::good:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Hi, Mike (?) and welcome.

To learn more about the different pen styles, browse through the albums or visit the vendors sites (links to our most popular vendors can be found by clicking the "Links" button on the IAP home page).

Depending on what tools you already have, it's possible to get started on a light budget. For example, Penn State Industries sells a set up that is an inexpensive way to start turning using a drill press (search for Drill Press Lathe). You'll also need need a few kits, chisels (minimally, I'd suggest a spindle gouge and a skew), sanding and finishing supplies.

-Barry

LanceD

Welcome. I'm from Houma, about an hour and a half from you. While using a drill press is a cheap way to start I wouldn't recommend anyone to go that route. You can buy a nice mini lathe for around the 250.00 range and several other accecories like a 4 jaw chuck, live center and turning tools for as little as 200 bucks. A few pen kits, drill bits and bushings are all that's left to get. A 500.00 bill can get you a comfortable start in pen turning. Of course if you can find some used equipment you could maybe cut your start up costs in half.

sdemars

Hello Mike . . . welcome to one of the best "skill enhancing" groups on the WEB . . .

I also am in the very infant stage . . . I'm the tool buying procrastinator type . . . It's an incurable disease . . . So far I have not turned the first pen . . . :-( . . . My own fault . .

I have allowed myself to be side-tracked by buying tools & building the ultimate turners utility grade rolling tool box . . . On the other hand you have guys on here turning works of art with a JET 1014 Mini & some sharpened screw driver blades . . . :)

The reason for all the above, DO NOT LET YOURSELF FALL INTO THE I NEED THIS TO DO THAT . . . as I have . . . Good Luck . . . . P.S. I live in Prairieville, LA - 77 miles . . .

p8ntballmike

Thanks for the advice and the warm welcomes!!

Lance- my sister lives in Houma. My wife and I go to craft shows around here and I haven't seen any pen displays. Do you show?

sdmars- hope you get to turning soon. Not far from you. We go to Alexandria a lot.

I was checking out the Penn Ind. kits---thanks

LanceD

I have done craft shows for the previous three years but this year I backed out of all of them. I just didn't have time to make many pens this year. The Christmas Extravaganza in Covington is coming up and I hate to miss it this year. I'll be there walking around but not exhibiting.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Below are two links from recent questions about set up and finishing. Read them and the links within them. IF you are just starting, it would be better to start with the simplest and more accurate method as outlined in the links below.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39089

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7319

One of the above is a post from several months ago but the second page really has some good information.

Most of my information and the links above deal with an easy way to turn pens without multiple minor problems that occur for many people (but not all). IN addition to those links, below are two links that show the simplicity of mandrel-less turning. The first link, you have to scroll down to the second and successive picts to see turned blanks WITH bushings on a lathe without using a mandrel. The second link shows a blank on the lathe without the bushings. The mandrel-less turning is a simplified method and more precise and accurate overall.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38361&highlight=skogger

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/940/1_Dead_drive_1.jpg

The differences in the two links above is that you use bushings to turn the blank to size and take the bushings off to finish - for special reasons that has to be experienced to appreciate.

Louisiana:
LOML is from NO, and we lived in Raceland for 5 years before moving to Japan - 23 years ago. Still have friends in Raceland, Thibodaux, and Houma, including LanceD who is an IAP and online friend. :biggrin:
. . . and OOOHhh I miss that food!

Last edited:

p8ntballmike

Hank, thanks for the great reading.

Looking hard at the carba-tec lathe kit from penmakingsupplies.com. comes with a #1 MT mandrel but starting mandrel -less seems to be the ticket.

moved away once.... missed the food myself and i was only in Houston!

Mike

LanceD

Mike I would suggest to get a lathe with a #2 morse taper. You will find later on that accecories are more readily available for a #2 taper than a #1 taper.

sdemars

Size . . .

whats the diff between a #1 taper and a #2

Mike

A #2MT is very common on a lathe, ie . . . Jet 1014 . . . many larger lathes also use this size . . . This way whatever accessories you accumulate can be used with another lathe if you ever move up to a larger lathe. Also the selection of accessories available for a #1MT is very slim & is usually associated with less desirable lathes . .

Steve

el_d

HI Mike welcome, I agree a #2MT would be the best way to go. If there is a woodcraft close by take a class and have fun.

Top Bottom