New fountain pen replica. This time a Watermans 17

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PFMan

PFMan

Hello everybody,

I want to show you last pen I made from japanese ebonite.

This time, the customer wanted a replica of old Watermans 17 ( from 20s). He provided me the nib and the clip.

It is an eyedropper and I also made the feeder from a piece of black ebonite too.

Hope it like you!

Regards,

Jordi
e88fbadb22b56057e2c1f5cd4a5da3dd.jpg
c6a98be73faeb1d71ce05f971c56d5d8.jpg
302511b4c93b4eed123617aabc821a7c.jpg
fe0f369d0632f49107ddd71b8d93485d.jpg
2ae41245287457e5af0b111ccc81dc32.jpg
1d9adb95469aac323b28d26366fc407d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PFMan

Oh My!! That is so very nice! If I could afford it, I would offer to buy it from you. How do you fill it?

Hello DrD,

it is the same filling system than the original. you have to unscrew the section and put the ink directly inside the body.

Edit: and thanks a lot for your comment! :)

Regards,

Pierre---

Gorgeous Jordi. How was the making of the feeder? You had a model?
No threads between barrel and cap? Not sure I would trust Watermans for this eyedropper...
Did you rivet the clip?

PFMan

Beautiful. What design did you use for the feed? How did you machine it? So cool...

The feeder was a made as an original Watermans feeder. All watermans feeders had the same design during the 20's.

I machined it with a lathe and a mill.

Thanks for your cumpliment!

PFMan

Gorgeous Jordi. How was the making of the feeder? You had a model?
No threads between barrel and cap? Not sure I would trust Watermans for this eyedropper...
Did you rivet the clip?

Thanks Pierre.

As I said, I made a replica of the original Watermans 17. The original didnt have threads between barrel and cap. Just friction. First watermans had this design. Obviously it is not a pen to travel with...

Yes, the clip is an original that was needed to be riveted. not easy work... very delicate pins.

Ironwood

Thanks for showing this pen here, it's done very well.
I find the friction fit cap very interesting, I notice the hole drilled in the cap to let the air in and out when capping or uncapping, I also imagine this would prevent ink being drawn up and out of the nib when pulling the cap off. It's not a feature I see on any threaded caps.

PFMan

Wow, that is beautiful. How did you determine the dimension to match the Waterman? Where did you get the Ebonite.

Thanks Penultimate!

I had a original Watermans (well, parts of it...) to get the dimensions. I bought the Ebonite from Nikko Ebonite. Japanese Ebonite.

Jordi

PFMan

Thanks for showing this pen here, it's done very well.
I find the friction fit cap very interesting, I notice the hole drilled in the cap to let the air in and out when capping or uncapping, I also imagine this would prevent ink being drawn up and out of the nib when pulling the cap off. It's not a feature I see on any threaded caps.

Hello Ironwood,

exactly, the hole is to prevent changes pf pressure inside the cap. the feeders were so primitive that they need these type of holes. You also can find this holes in old threaded caps of old fountain pens.

Regards,

Jordi

Ironwood

Hello Ironwood,

exactly, the hole is to prevent changes pf pressure inside the cap. the feeders were so primitive that they need these type of holes. You also can find this holes in old threaded caps of old fountain pens.

Regards,

Jordi
Thanks for the explanation Jordi, very interesting.

Top Bottom