New finished commission

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrin1200

darrin1200

I just wanted to test out the new picture posting and figured I would display my latest creation.
It's a Blue Pinstripe with a hand shaped Nickle-Silver clip.
Getting the stripes to line up between the components, was the tricky part.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

May I ask where you bought the clip please? Woops. I just saw hand-shaped clip. I am still working on threads. Very nice work.

darrin1200

May I ask where you bought the clip please? Woops. I just saw hand-shaped clip. I am still working on threads. Very nice work.
There not as hard as you might think Tony. The first step is getting the right material. I had the hardest time getting small sheets of the the material I wanted here in Canada. I ended up ordering from Online Metals. The shipping hurts less the more you buy.

These ones are made of .052 .062 thick Nickle Silver 770-H02. I simple drew the shape on the metal, drilled the hole for the clip, then cut out the shape. I used to do this with a hacksaw, but now I have a Portaband saw, takes about 1 minute. After that its just cleaning it up with files, Dremel and sandpaper. This is the tedious part that i hope will go quicker with practice.

If you have any questions, just give me a shout.

IMG_0522.jpg

Last edited:

magpens

Darrin ... is there any heat required for bending the clip ? Also, do you bend before or after the final shaping and polishing ?

Ironwood

I see your nickel silver sheet is .052", I can get 1mm ( .040" ) here in Oz, do you think it will be thick enough ?
I am currently using stainless, but its not easy to work.

darrin1200

I see your nickel silver sheet is .052", I can get 1mm ( .040" ) here in Oz, do you think it will be thick enough ?
I am currently using stainless, but its not easy to work.
I actually made an error in that post. The thickness is actually .062 .
Caveat.. I am no metal expert. A couple of other members in the PAG recommended it this size to me, as opposed to the thinner. It think the Nickle-Silver would be to soft to maintain the spring if you went thinner.
The other reason I went thicker, is that want to be able to carve some detail and "3D" shape to the clip. I have some thicker Bronze that I hope to use as well.

Ironwood

Th
I actually made an error in that post. The thickness is actually .062 .
Caveat.. I am no metal expert. A couple of other members in the PAG recommended it this size to me, as opposed to the thinner. It think the Nickle-Silver would be to soft to maintain the spring if you went thinner.
The other reason I went thicker, is that want to be able to carve some detail and "3D" shape to the clip. I have some thicker Bronze that I hope to use as well.
Thanks Darrin. I won't bother getting any of the.040 stuff, nothing worse than a clip that keeps bending out. Will keep looking for something a bit thicker.

Penultimate

Greetings,
Beautiful pen. I didn't think about buying nickel silver from online metals. I've used brass from K&S, it tarnishes a bit. Here's a tip for those of who don't want to cut the ring. keep the portion inside the cap straight, drill a close fitting hole for a #8 set screw. Drill and tap the finial and cap and screw together.
Again, beautiful pen.

Top Bottom