New England Chapter Meeting: March 8, 2015!!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

So it looks like we have the makings of a meeting!!!!

Thanks to Neil (Wolftat) for pulling a date out and pushing us to get moving. I spoke to Steve, and didn't realize even tho I spend a lot of time in the wood room at the store, that it is to full of wood for us to have our meeting in. Thankfully, Real Mercier has graciously offered his shop for the meeting. For those of you who have been to a previous meeting at the West Springfield MA Woodcraft, Real's shop is less than a mile down the road, and a nice large area for us to meet in.

Everyone is welcome to come. I'm going to ask Real to chime in with information on how to get there, where to park and what not, as he knows those details much better than I do. I a

The Meeting will start around 11:00, and if things go as usual, 11-12 will be sort of a social hour, and time to get to know any of the new members who haven't made it to a meeting before. Then after that we'll have some demos if anyone has anything they are willing to do, or if we have new turners maybe we can do some hands on learning ( I know even tho I'm not a NEW turner, I always learn something from someone at these things!!!) Probably plan on things going until 3-4:00 depending on what we get lined up and how long Real will let us hang out.

While it is not required, I'd love to have an idea of who to expect at the meeting, so if you are coming (and there is no reason for you not to!!!) and you don't mind, drop a reply here to let us know to expect you, it's always great to put a face to the forum personalities, but the most important thing is to come and hang out and meet fellow turners! If you can't be there for 11:00 (or even 12:00) come when you can!!!

If anyone is willing to step up and do a Demo, you can either post it here or send me a PM. It doesn't have to be overly detailed, just let me know what it is. I'd ask that you be prepared to bring any materials you need for the Demo. I know Real has at least 1 lathe in his shop for penmaking (one of the smaller JET's if I remember) but I can't guarantee he would have mandrels, centers, bushings, chucks, or other tools that you might need. If you need something that you can't bring, check here and we can ask Real if he has it or if someone else could bring it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Real

Great. I am glad to see things coming together for a meeting. The address for the shop is:

31 Lowell St.
West Springfield MA 01089.

If you are familiar with the Big E (Eastern States Exposition), I am across the street from it, just off Memorial Ave (Rt. 147). If you PM me with where you are coming from, I'll respond with specific directions. For those who know the Woodcraft store, simply stay on Memorial Ave heading south. Once you cross the railroad tracks, take your first right. I am the fourth building on the street. There is parking behind the building for about six cars (more if this snow melts) or there is a large parking lot directly across the street.

For machines, I do have a Jet 1220 VS lathe, Jet Band saw, a small drill press, 10" circular saw. I do have a mandrel and some bushings (I would still recommend you bring your own), and centers. Oh, and I have a laser. I'll sign up to do a laser demo if there is interest.

So, please sign up and come. You are sure to learn something, even if not from the demos, just talking to other enthusiastic turners.

Looking forward to see the old faces and meeting new ones.

Real Mercier

vfauto

I will be there weather permitting. I am very interested in a Laser demo.

Thanks Frank

toddlajoie

If I can stand working out in the cold, I could have a pen that I need Laser engraved, so Real can make a bit of $$ to offset doing the demo and hosting us...

Real

I forgot to add that I have a small number of chairs available. So I would recommend you bring one for yourself if you would like to sit at some point.

Real Mercier

bloodhound

ill be there. it will be a hawl. If anyone is in the Acushnet area. we could car pool. ill pitch in a few bucks for gas. anyway i am intrested in anything. And how much to engrave a pen? I am very interested in that seeing that.

Califo

Will be there and would be interested on any demo anyone can do. There is always something to learn. I will bring a box of Joe, DD to you folks outside new england.

toddlajoie

I'm planning on being there. Not likely going to have the pen I need engraved done by then but you never know what Saturday may bring...

I'll have a few acrylic blanks and an array of sanding/polishing materials for folks to play with. If anyone wants to plan on anything else for short demos that would be great.

bloodhound

I want to thank everyone involved with the meeting we had today. It was informational and entertaining. A few contacts made. Until next time. Thanks.

Rchan63

Than you Real for hosting the meeting and Neil to kick start the NE chapter.
Nice to meet new faces and see old faces again.

toddlajoie

Pictures? or it didn't happen.

Nice to hear Neil's name mentioned again.

LOL... I took about 2500 photos between Thursday and Saturday, had to select, adjust, and size them for Monday Morning. So I REALLY did not want to add any work to that pile on Sunday....

It was a great meeting. Looking forward to getting these back on a regular schedule. Everyone keep in touch and we'll get another one in the coming months.

Real

Hi Jim:

This is a old thread. You may want to look at the "Attention New Englanders" thread for a more up to date discussion.

After hearing some discussion about restarting the New England Chapter meetings, I tried to get something going but got a tepid response at best. Even those who had originally expressed interest did not respond.

So keep looking here to see if something happens, but summer is a hard time to hold meetings.

BTW, Welcome.

Real Mercier

Top Bottom