New England Chapter ... forming?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjudge

I've private msg'd some New Englanders about a chapter.
LEAP
Firefyter-emt
demersm1
massman

If I read the charter correctly ... we just have to have 5 turners committed to (minimum) 1 meeting a year, encourage the IAP principles, and email Lou.

I'm thinking that we can:
- Connect with a couple of local woodturning organizations (e.g., Revolutionary Woodturners, etc.), so we have some shared purchases and partner with each others activities (e.g., their turnathons, etc)
- Meet often enough that makes sense, kick up localized info/sharing/status/help/etc.

This could be good.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Well, I am in NE Connecticut and will try to help out, but my evenings can be tight so I am not sure exactly how much free time I have. (Keep in mind, we have four children and home school to boot!)

My shop is always open though..

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Since there is a thread for New England, ME and NH, and NY, NJ, And CT, would it be better to combine the three of them into something like the Northeastern US? We should have plenty of people in the area williing to do something.

clthayer

I guess it's a question as to how far people want to drive. I would be willing to drive a few hours, but I think it's a little farther than that to NJ/many parts of NY.

That said...who is willing to host that is in a central location?

jjudge

I agree that the driving distance will make, or break, the meeting participation.
That said -- I can't imagine that there would be a lot of meetings.

I'm hoping for something local enough (i.e., New England vs. NorthEast chunk of the US).
Apart from meetings, a more localized chapter would allow us to ... share booths @ local caft fairs, share local shops/art displays that are pen-friendly, come over to mentor a tough technique/process, etc.

If some New England folks feel the same ... then I'll collect some names up and contact Lou to get our sub-forum + promise to meet once a year. (I think we can hit 1 time a year :)

-- joe

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I was just throwing it out there, but you do have a point about the distance. I am willing to help out with whatever I can.

babyblues

I'd be interested. I live in Maine, so it would be a drive no matter where it was held. I have a friend in VT that might want to participate too.

Top Bottom