New Enduro tip.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneis

Recently I found that when you are finishing a stabilized blank with Enduro you Do Not need the sanding sealer. What I have been doing recently with all of my stabilized blanks is just using two coats of Enduro, letting it cure overnight and sanding with MM as usual and they look great.

For those of you who are just starting to use Enduro you can use it on oily blanks by switching from the sanding sealer that comes with the kit to a Lacqure based SS. I've been using this method on BOW and cocobolo with very good results.

Wayne

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Steve,

I am not Wayne, but let me give you my perspective on your question. Don't use DNA when sanding the sanding sealer or the Enduro poly. The Enduro will not be fully cured at that time, and you would likely damage the finish. Use either compressed air or a soft cloth to clean the blanks during the finishing process.

FWIW,

jimbo 31751

Wayne, I have been using your enduro finish for some time now and have been very pleased with the results. I have been putting the enduro sealer on oily woods and have not noticed any problem,am I missing something?

wayneis

Jim if you are not having problems then just go for it, I was seeing some flat spots and dull spots sometimes when I was doing oily blanks and thats why I desided to try something different.

Wayne

Originally posted by jimbo 31751
<br />Wayne, I have been using your enduro finish for some time now and have been very pleased with the results. I have been putting the enduro sealer on oily woods and have not noticed any problem,am I missing something?

KenV

I like enduro for ease and smell. I have used clear shellac as an undercoat with excellent success either 1) over oil, marker, dye, tint, or 2) oily woods that are traditionally a problem. The shellac cures fast and the enduro top coats very nicely.

Enduro also top coats nicely over CA filled and stabelized punk (spalted) woods that have been well prepared with sanding.

Wayne -- have you tried any/many/some of the other gloss water based finishes??

wayneis

Ken the others do not have the hardeners that Enduro does. Enduro is a commercial product made for bar and table tops so its some pretty tuff stuff. I've been doing wood work for a lot of years and have not found a poly that cures as hard as Enduro.

Wayne

TomServo

I've been using shellac SS - I spoke with one of the reps @ enduro and he said "we reccomend the use of shellac sanding sealer with enduro products". I actually ordered a quart of poly and a quart of lacquer finish - but they sent a quart of poly SS and poly finish.. :/ I like it so far. It's a *@#*% to put on surfaces with a brush, can't keep them bubbles down! it goes on pens okay with a foam brush or paper towel but not on bowls... gonna try my airbrush soon.

edit: I've also noticed the shellac SS gives more of a BLO'd look to the wood, as opposed to the non-wet look of enduro SS..

I also asked about using enduro over BLO, and was told that it is fine as long as an oil-based or shellac SS is used under the enduro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom