Segmenting New design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I think I finally come up with a new design that I want to pursue. It's kind of hard to explain the look so I'm posting a picture of each side. Cuts are 4 compound miter cuts. This is just a simple glue up, no vaneer. I find it a very simple design. Each side has I different look, no two sides are the same. What do y'all think, critiques welcome.
IMG_1731.JPG
IMG_1732.JPG
IMG_1733.JPG
IMG_1734.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think that simple designs can be the most stunning.
Esp when matched with the appropriate kit. That design would look great with either a Panache kit or perhaps as a closed ended style. It wouldn't work on something like a Sierra, for example. Well, in my opinion anyway 😀

Larryreitz

At first I thought "not up to Ken's Standards." Then I kept scrolling down and with each additional picture it grew more on me. Looking forward to seeing the finished pen.

KenB259

At first I thought "not up to Ken's Standards." Then I kept scrolling down and with each additional picture it grew more on me. Looking forward to seeing the finished pen.

It's one of those designs, I think a woodworker would look at and be a little befuddled on how to make this, it's really not as simple as it looks. It's going to be fun to play around with. I wasn't planning on turning this actual piece into a pen. I need to complicate it up a little first.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sweet. 👍 I believe it has great potential as well as some future modifications and tweaks. Have fun!

A simple design with the multiple miter cuts can be very impressive. The finished pen should be awesome!

jttheclockman

I say and this is just my opinion it does nothing for me because when doing things like that symmetry plays a roll in such a small canvas. Not a fan but others disagree as usual so have fun and keep playing. You are trying to come up with new ideas and that I applaud.

Just to clarify something here, I reply to these type posts because I am a segmenter and can look at it from a segmenting eye and it may not be what you want to read but i will always give you an honest opinion when it comes to segmenting of pens. Hope you do not mind. I maybe the minority but that is OK with me.

Have to say I am literally doing penturning through your eyes. Being I love segmenting basically you are the only one doing any now and I can not do shop time much at all these days because of my back I rely on your work showing up. I am in deep trouble and realize it with this back. afraid to go to emergency room and no end in sight with this virus despite what all people saying about opening things up. Not sure what my future looks like. I had high hopes when I started the year doing a few pens. Not going to see much from me any more. Good luck as you continue down the segmenting path.

Last edited:

KenB259

I say and this is just my opinion it does nothing for me because when doing things like that symmetry plays a roll in such a small canvas. Not a fan but others disagree as usual so have fun and keep playing. You are trying to come up with new ideas and that I applaud.

Just to clarify something here, I reply to these type posts because I am a segmenter and can look at it from a segmenting eye and it may not be what you want to read but i will always give you an honest opinion when it comes to segmenting of pens. Hope you do not mind. I maybe the minority but that is OK with me.

Have to say I am literally doing penturning through your eyes. Being I love segmenting basically you are the only one doing any now and I can not do shop time much at all these days because of my back I rely on your work showing up. I am in deep trouble and realize it with this back. afraid to go to emergency room and no end in sight with this virus despite what all people saying about opening things up. Not sure what my future looks like. I had high hopes when I started the year doing a few pens. Not going to see much from me any more. Good luck as you continue down the segmenting path.

I too usually goes towards symmetrical designs. Sometimes I try and force myself to look outside the box. Will I go forward with design, heck I don't know. I know how I did it , so it's repeatable. I can tell you, if looks more interesting in your hand than it does in pictures. No matter what design you do, there will be some that aren't keen on it, that is perfectly fine with me and I welcome all critiques, good and bad. Rest assured I do not want to be told only what I want to hear. I thank you for your honest opinion. The back situation you are suffering with, I have dealt with that too, in the past. There's not much you can do , but keep pushing on. This covid-19 pandemic is affecting us all, and I agree, it's best to stay away from hospitals, if you can. Now Back to the segmenting , I think that segmenting is alive and well here, lots here way better than I'll ever be. I think if it wasn't for segmenting, I probably wouldn't even still be making pens. It's what holds my interest, there's no end to what can be. I'm always thinking of a new thing to try. Some work, some do not. You know what they say, you learn more from your mistakes than from your success's. John, stay safe and try stay positive.

jttheclockman

Ken you are correct there is alot of new designs out there to be had in the segmenting field as well to me in the casting field and I love trying new ideas and materials and that is what keeps me going in this hobby too. Watching you progress over the year has put a smile on my face. Many times we do not know what a design will look like until we spin it down because in its flat stage may look a whole lot different than turned round. you will know if it is worth pursuing or not with time and maybe a different idea will emerge from it. This could look sort of like the Yin Yang design we see alot of. I will say this I do not know how you are achieving the cuts and maybe you will show us or maybe not. Anyway keep at it and stay safe.

TonyL

I look forward to approximating that design along a longer or double barrel pen. I lean more toward curves that geometric patterns. Thanks for sharing.

mick

Ken, I'm intrigued by this! I've got one question if you wouldn't mind me asking. If you mind I understand that too. [emoji16] I'm curious, when you say 4 compound miter cuts are they all 4 the same degree of bevel and angle?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KenB259

Ken, I'm intrigued by this! I've got one question if you wouldn't mind me asking. If you mind I understand that too. [emoji16] I'm curious, when you say 4 compound miter cuts are they all 4 the same degree of bevel and angle?

Mick after thinking about this I may have been in error. The cuts are all done with the blank sitting at a 45 degree angle and then cut at 45 degrees, then rotated 90 degrees and cut again at 45 degrees.

howsitwork

Ken

I am intrigued by the simple complexity of it. not sure about that particular timber combination but the " off centre random pattern look" certainly appeals to me. That particular blank with black or gunmetal parts would work I think.

Now with some figured Black Walnut and say Maple that could be an interesting creation, not that your example isn5 you understand? I think , that particular blank needs some "highlighting" as Mal said, of the joint areas , maybe black veneer or Purple Heart ?

The simple lines though are Appealing in their own right

Good concept.

KenB259

Ken

I am intrigued by the simple complexity of it. not sure about that particular timber combination but the " off centre random pattern look" certainly appeals to me. That particular blank with black or gunmetal parts would work I think.

Now with some figured Black Walnut and say Maple that could be an interesting creation, not that your example isn5 you understand? I think , that particular blank needs some "highlighting" as Mal said, of the joint areas , maybe black veneer or Purple Heart ?

The simple lines though are Appealing in their own right

Good concept.

I agree , I never use expensive wood when trying a new concept blank.

mick

Mick after thinking about this I may have been in error. The cuts are all done with the blank sitting at a 45 degree angle and then cut at 45 degrees, then rotated 90 degrees and cut again at 45 degrees.

I could see it had been rotated for each cut and they looked to be the same angle so I thought I'd ask. I actually like the concept. Asymmetrical appeals to me. Maybe it's my lopsided way of thinking. If you don't mind I'm going to play around with this design. You've got me seeing some variations using this.

KenB259

I could see it had been rotated for each cut and they looked to be the same angle so I thought I'd ask. I actually like the concept. Asymmetrical appeals to me. Maybe it's my lopsided way of thinking. If you don't mind I'm going to play around with this design. You've got me seeing some variations using this.

Don't mind at all, have fun and I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I know this sounds kind of ridiculous, but this design has symmetry in its asymmetry. When you look at it you can actually pick out certain design aspects. They may be upside down or mirrored, but there just the same.

Top Bottom