New design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

Here's another Sierra super button click with a design that I've been thinking of for awhile. Took me a bit to figure out the cuts and I'm very happy with results. Woods I used are maple and Purple Heart. This one is tricky, was fun to figure out.
IMG_1584.JPG
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_1587.JPG
IMG_1590.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK... I hate your' guts ;) ;) . A pool cue blank has been on my "to do" list for a few years. Just have let life get in the way of my play time recently.

EXCELLENT! I really admire this. I expect many more kudos, and all will be valid. Ken, you are doing gret work - have fun! With the points worked out, many more easier modifications will take this to a higher level.

KenB259

OK... I hate your' guts ;) ;) . A pool cue blank has been on my "to do" list for a few years. Just have let life get in the way of my play time recently.

EXCELLENT! I really admire this. I expect many more kudos, and all will be valid. Ken, you are doing gret work - have fun! With the points worked out, many more easier modifications will take this to a higher level.

C,mon Mark, don't be a hater [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Superb !!! . I love it !!!

This design idea often goes through my mind, but you totally beat me to the implementation. .

I don't have a clue how to start !!! . But I think a milling machine, or a router, would help !! :cool:

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Yes this looks like a pool cue blank I have been working for awhile but never got to finish it. Was making something like that for my pool table pen box I made a couple years ago. Probably how long I started the pen for it too.:) I really need to finish some of these pens I have started. I like where you are taking segmenting pen blanks to. We need new fresh ideas. I hope these encourage others to jump on board too and play with some designs. Love to see them.

Dale Parrott

Looks great. I had that same idea and even devised a way to make one. Life threw a curve that I don't even remember right now and I lost interest. You have inspired me. Thanks

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice work Ken. It looks great. For your next trick, you should try and get both colours to come to complete points. ;)

KenB259

Nice work Ken. It looks great. For your next trick, you should try and get both colours to come to complete points. ;)

That would be rather easy to accomplish with a bigger router bit and a steeper angle however with the jig I built, I don't think I could use a larger bit. The way my jig is, the bit needs to be smaller than my pen blank. Also the longest finished pen blank is 3 inches or so, that's not a lot of room. Not saying it can't be done.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ken, I use a 19mm diameter bit and my angle is pretty similar to yours. The trick is to remember that the design shrinks as you turn it down. I have several in my album and I have shown my set up a few times. I struggle to get my head around the new search function or I'd post a link.

SteveJ

Here is the link to Skiprats instructions

KenB259

Ken, I use a 19mm diameter bit and my angle is pretty similar to yours. The trick is to remember that the design shrinks as you turn it down. I have several in my album and I have shown my set up a few times. I struggle to get my head around the new search function or I'd post a link.

LOL you have the gears in my head spinning.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
And here is a slightly different method, which I think is better than the one SteveJ just posted

KenB259

And here is a slightly different method, which I think is better than the one SteveJ just posted

Awesome results. I have some fine tuning to do on my jig and when done will post my method. To be honest though my method is way simpler.

Top Bottom