New Delta Variable Speed Grinder - wheels?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerGarrett

Just got a new variable speed, 8" Delta Grinder, and I had read on the forum here about different wheels to purchase for sharpening the lathe tools. I was ready to purchase Norton 46 and 80 grit wheels, and then I noticed that the grinder came with a really nice Delta white wheel as well as a heavier grit wheel on the left side. Any recommendations for wheels with this setup? Keep and use what I have or buy the Norton wheels? I still have my old ProTech 8 inch grinder whith a rapidly shriking blue, 80 grit wheel I purchased 8 years ago from Woodcraft, and can use it for whatever - but my Wolverine Jig will go on the new Delta.

Suggestions welcome!

Best,
Roger Garrett

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

This looks like a familiar post. If you use the 80 grit now, why not stay with that. Coarser removes too much metal too fast and generates so much heat you can blue (remove temper) from the steel. Finer grits seem to just sorta polish the ends without giving a good edge. That said, others may jump in to say that 46 grit is their favorite or 120 is best. Do wat works for you.

vick

personally I would stick with the delta white wheel they seem to work fine. If it is the same as my grinder in is a 120 wheel.

RogerGarrett

Originally posted by vick
<br />personally I would stick with the delta white wheel they seem to work fine. If it is the same as my grinder in is a 120 wheel.

I finally got the entire grinder and Wolverine set up and replaced my Pro-Tech. BTW - my Pro-Tech is a 6 inch grinder - and I had used the Wolverine set up with that grinder with good success for the past 8 years. Someone had asked how it worked with a 6 inch grinder - so there's your answer.

The grinder came with a 56 grit grey (aluminum oxide?) wheel and a 60 grit white wheel. I just sharpened the HSS tools - and I received a much sharper edge at the slowest speed than I ever did with the older One-Way blue wheel (no grit listed - always assumed it was 80 but could have been 60). [:)]

I can only imagine 80-120 grits - how nice the blade must be. [:0] I guess I'll run with this for awhile and see how it goes. Eventually - a finer grit such as 100 or 120 will have to go on - and I'll take off the 56.

For those of you who are looking for a grinder - I can tell you that the Delta is smooth, quiet, efficient, and the variable speed is really nice.[:D]

Best,
Roger Garrett

vick

I would recommend keeping the 56 grit or getting another coarse grit wheel for profileing tools, and using the finer wheel for actual sharpening. My Delta is the actual slow speed not the variable so I am not suprised they have different wheels.

If you have ever try to regrind a straight bowl gouge to an fingernail profile or something similiar you will appreciate a coarse wheel.

KenV

The American Association of Woodturners sent out a DVD with sharpening approaches of 4 master turners. You are in the right area where they were making recommendations. Some like finer, some like coarser -

By the way, if you are grinding high speed tools, blueing the edge is NOT a problem. If you are grinding high carbon steel, bluing indicates that you have softened the edge (reduced hardness) and it will not hold an edge. You can blue carbon steel turning maple (in the range of 400 degrees you lose it) - To lose it with high speed steel you need to have temperatures in the 1100 degree range. Several sources suggest not to quench HSS as it can make it more brittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom