New Contest Category for Up-Coming BASH ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Would there be interest in a contest for "Pen Photography" ?

I was inspired to ask this question when I read today's thread by @jrista here :

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I would definitely be interested. My two main hobbies besides software development (my day job) are photography and woodworking. ;)

magpens

I thought for the most part that all of the pen contests were also partially photo contests.

Yeah . . . I guess you are right Joe . . . obviously, I did not think too long before I started this thread. You make a good point ! ! !

What I was thinking about . . . I think ( ! ! ! ) . . . was developing and using techniques for achieving "extra special" PEN PHOTOS . . .

. . . techniques that enhance the appearance of even an ordinary pen, whether or not it is prize-worthy in its own right for any contest.

Some pens win contests regardless of whether their photo is "outstanding" . . . by virtue of their design & fabrication & skills of the pen-maker.
And, yes, of course, their chances of winning are enhanced by photos that are out-of-the-ordinary.

I was thinking of a contest to use and present photographic techniques which push towards getting "out-of-the-ordinary" photos . . .
. . . something which we would all like to be able to do but may not normally do, for whatever reasons.

We know that we can learn to MAKE NICE PENS, . . . and some of us can learn to MAKE NICE PHOTOS of pens.

A contest could encourage the latter, just as our long-standing contests encourage the former.

Last edited:

jrista

We know that we can learn to MAKE NICE PENS, . . . and some of us can learn to MAKE NICE PHOTOS of pens.

A contest could encourage the latter, just as our long-standing contests encourage the former.
Well put!

I think if this did become a category, the judging would need to be less about the pens themselves, and more about how they were presented, and lit. Such a contest might help spur more interest in developing good pen photography skills as well as pen making skills.

sorcerertd

You'd almost have to make the contest limited to certain pens and materials, something like a basic walnut or cherry slimline, and then see who could make it look the best? Hmm, I'm not sure that's quite right, either. There are a lot of things to consider for sure.

jttheclockman

@jttheclockman

When was that, John ? Do you remember the year(s) ?

My memory ain't workin' so good lately.
Mal it is a little hard looking back at the past Bash contests because some are crypted but there were a few different photo contests over the years. I remember a shop photo contest, I remember an overall photo contest where you could submit any photo. But then there was the Pen Photo contest and this is one of the years I remember. As I said when was the exact first date I do not know.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/pen-photography-contest-vote-here.138901/

magpens

Mal it is a little hard looking back at the past Bash contests because some are crypted but there were a few different photo contests over the years. I remember a shop photo contest, I remember an overall photo contest where you could submit any photo. But then there was the Pen Photo contest and this is one of the years I remember. As I said when was the exact first date I do not know.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/pen-photography-contest-vote-here.138901/
@jttheclockman

Thanks, John. . . That reference you posted is helpful. . There seem to be vastly different interpretations of "best" ! ! (as one might expect ! ! )

Last edited:
Top Bottom