New Cell Phone??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Looks like I am going to have to step up and get a new cell phone according to my carrier. The flip phone I have will no longer be supported. First my computer and now my cell phone. The Geeks are trying to convert me. Was looking at options and was wondering if anyone has this flip phone and if so looking for comments and how large is it? Galaxy Z Flip3 5G. Probably will have to get a holster to carry on the hip. Hate things in pockets. Probably will have to get wifi also.

I am not one of these people who walk around with their phone in their hands all day long. Very seldom use it unless for appointments and family calls. Always give that number out if I need to get call. All others go through house phone where I screen and answer when I feel like it.

Would like to hear any other suggestions and whys. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

A coworker of mine had the Samsung flip phone you mentioned. He liked it, but I thought it looked quite bulky when folded. It's much wider than the older flip phones. I was happy with my Samsung S5, Samsung note 9, and my current note 20. If you go with a Samsung phone, check out the A32 5G. I think you will find it has all the basic features you would want and then some, without the outrageous price tag of the flagship phones.

As far as not using it much, you will get spoiled eventually with a few features. It's great having a camera with you everywhere, even if it's just to take a picture of something to remember the model # or price (or to zoom in on a label if your close up vision is like mine). Being able to check the weather/radar at any point is pretty nice. They are handy for a flashlight when you need it, too. Etc.

Amanap

I am not very familiar with the galaxy z flip but it is hard to go wrong with most of the new phones. Personally I am a fan of Google pixels and love my 6 pro. Google just recently lowered their price for service from $30 to $25 and I get great service when I am out of the country.

rherrell

I'm the same way John, I only carry my phone in case I have an emergency. I had to upgrade to a 4g phone recently and I absolutely love the phone I picked Kyocera DuraXE

You won't be disappointed if you buy it, it's just a phone, a novel concept these days.

monophoto

John

I've been carrying a cell phone for 23 years, and over that time, I've had a number of different phones - including some 'flip phones'. So I can say that I've had some experience. One thing that I will say is that I don't care for 'flip phones' because there is an additional (and unnecessary) action required at the beginning and end of each call.

There is a distinction between a 'cell phone' and a 'smart phone' - as Rick says, a cell phone is just a phone that you use to talk to people on.

A smart phone is actually small computer and introduces many new functions. I can understand that the initial reaction is to say 'I don't need any of that stuff', but my experience is that once you have it, you will be amazed at how much you use those additional functions. The most obvious is the camera, but the ability to access the internet, send and receive e-mail, and do navigation are other extremely useful features.

That said, smart phones come in two major but not clearly defined groupings - the expensive phones and the cheap phones. If you are a newbie to smart phones, it might make sense to start with a cheap phone knowing that you may need to upgrade at some point. Two years ago, when we had to upgrade my wife's phone (similar situation to you - it was a 3G phone that was about to become obsolete), we opted for the least expensive LG phone we could find knowing that historically, she rarely used her cell phone. So rarely that she had to ask me how to turn it on each time she used it! But after making the switch, she found that she uses the new 'smart' features even more than she uses it as a mere phone. So my expectation is that when the time comes to replace that phone, we will be looking for something a little better.

Three things to keep in mind. First, the life expectancy of a phone is essentially governed by the life of the battery, and when you reach the point where the battery can no longer be recharged, you must replace either the battery or the entire phone. And at that point, it may be easier to replace the phone than to replace the battery. Ultimately, battery life is determined by how many times the battery is recharged. Apple claims that they design their phones for at least 500 recharge cycles, and the typical Apple phone users reaches that threshold in 3-4 years; I have not seen information from other manufacturers, but I would assume that they aren't all that different. One data point: I had to get a new phone in January of last year, and I reached 233 recharge cycles after 505 days, so I expect to reach that magic 500 cycle point around the end of 2023.

Second, don't be fooled by the marketing hype around 5G. 5G is mainly vaporware at this point, and even when it is fully implemented in the distant future, it won't make any difference in basic phone functionality, and very little difference on most smart phone functionality. About the only practical impact 5G will have will be on the ability to do things like watch Netflix movies on your phone. For the foreseeable future (perhaps 4-7 years), 4G LTE will be just fine.

Third, because smart phones are small computers, there is a choice between two operating systems - iOS and Android. iOS means Apple phones - they are good phones, and the smart phone functions seem to be integrated more logically and efficiently than Android, but you do have to pay a little more for that convenience. Android phones work just as well although some of the smart phone functions don't work together as seamlessly, but that's something that you can learn to live with. There are more Android phones to choose from, and with a broader range of prices. You pays your money and takes your choice. Samsung is a great brand, but they are a bit more expensive. Google Pixel phones have a great reputation and can be had for a bit less, and a brand that has gotten a lot of attention recently for good quality at a reasonable price is OnePlus.

And one final point - the phone and the service provider are separate things. You can use most any cell phone with almost any cellular service provider. There are many cell phone service providers in the US, but only three actual physical cell phone networks (AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile). Service providers such as Ting, Google Fi, Spectrum and Consumer Cellular lease space on one or more of the physical networks. Ultimately, what this means is that any phone should work with any cellular service provider, at least technically. However, specific cellular service providers may offer only a limited number of phones for sale/lease, and if you choose to purchase/lease a phone from a cellular service provided, you may be locked into using their service for some contractual period. So shopping at independent retailers such as BestBuy, Target or even Amazon may offer the broadest selection of options.

Last edited:

randyrls

There is a distinction between a 'cell phone' and a 'smart phone' - as Rick says, a cell phone is just a phone that you use to talk to people on.

A smart phone is actually small computer and introduces many new functions. I can understand that the initial reaction is to say 'I don't need any of that stuff', but my experience is that once you have it, you will be amazed at how much you use those additional functions. The most obvious is the camera, but the ability to access the internet, send and receive e-mail, and do navigation are other extremely useful features.
Yep; The ability to access the internet from almost anywhere is great, but setting up a "Hot Spot" where no WiFi internet is available is important.
Second, don't be fooled by the marketing hype around 5G. 5G is mainly vaporware at this point, and even when it is fully implemented in the distant future, it won't make any difference in basic phone functionality, and very little difference on most smart phone functionality. About the only practical impact 5G will have will be on the ability to do things like watch Netflix movies on your phone. For the foreseeable future (perhaps 4-7 years), 4G LTE will be just fine.
5G has VERY LIMITED range! In my town they put up 5G on light poles. EVERY 4th light pole.
Third, because smart phones are small computers, there is a choice between two operating systems - iOS and Android. iOS means Apple phones - they are good phones, and the smart phone functions seem to be integrated more logically and efficiently than Android, but you do have to pay a little more for that convenience. Android phones work just as well although some of the smart phone functions don't work together as seamlessly, but that's something that you can learn to live with. There are more Android phones to choose from, and with a broader range of prices. You pays your money and takes your choice. Samsung is a great brand, but they are a bit more expensive. Google Pixel phones have a great reputation and can be had for a bit less, and a brand that has gotten a lot of attention recently for good quality at a reasonable price is OnePlus.
Don't buy the latest and greatest. A "New-Old-Stock" phone will work just as good.

monophoto

Don't buy the latest and greatest. A "New-Old-Stock" phone will work just as good.
Absolutely true. And you can save quite a bit - manufacturers generally offer pretty deep discounts on last year's model.

the only issue to be aware of is that phone manufacturers release software updates periodically, and eventually you reach a point where an older phone can no longer use the newer software. Typically (and this varies between manufacturers), you can expect updates for 4-5 years if you buy the latest model, but only 3-4 years is the model you buy is one year old, etc. That doesn't mean that the phone stops working. Instead, it means that you just don't get to use new features that become available in that new software.

monophoto

Yep; The ability to access the internet from almost anywhere is great, but setting up a "Hot Spot" where no WiFi internet is available is important.

I'm not sure that I agree that this is 'important' (it depends on your circumstances), but the point requires explanation.

I recently purchased an inexpensive tablet (an Amazon Fire) that has Wifi connectivity only to interface with the internet. That means I can use it at home or anywhere else where there is Wifi, but I can't do that, for example, while sitting by a fishing stream. However, I have the option to use my cell phone by the stream because it can access the internet using the wireless telephone service, and there is a feature in my cell phone to create a local 'hot spot' that my cheap Amazon table can connect to.

Realistically, if I'm sitting by the stream and need to connect to the internet for something, I would normally just use my phone. But there could be situations where having the ability to set up a Wifi 'hotspot' could be useful. For example, a few years ago, wife and I were part of a tour group in Europe. One of our traveling companions set up a Wifi hotspot on her smart phone that others on our tour bus were able to use to check e-mail.

jttheclockman

Lots of good replys. Another question is how do you all carry your phones. With these smart phones they are all larger now so carrying them can be a problem. I know the youth just carry in their hands because they are always on them from morning till night. I do not like the back pocket idea because I forsee a ripped truck seat or even a broken glass. Forget front pocket. That is too big. May need a holster to clip to belt.

sorcerertd

The best way I've found to carry it is in my front pocket, even though I dislike the bulk of a 3x6.5" phone. It's not too terrible if the pockets are deep. Cargo pockets work much better, but I don't wear those often. Not sure how I feel about a holster. I can't speak to the latest holsters, but I didn't like them 9-10 years ago because they dug in a bit when I sat down. Might be better if I lost a little weight, though I'm not particularly large.

KenB259

Lots of good replys. Another question is how do you all carry your phones. With these smart phones they are all larger now so carrying them can be a problem. I know the youth just carry in their hands because they are always on them from morning till night. I do not like the back pocket idea because I forsee a ripped truck seat or even a broken glass. Forget front pocket. That is too big. May need a holster to clip to belt.
I just carry mine in my front pocket. That being said, I'm not glued to mine. When I'm home it sits in a phone stand by my chair. When it is in my pocket , I find it comfortable, hardly notice it. With a protective case on it. It's only about 3/8th thick.

Last edited:

monophoto

I'm currently watching the Netflix series 'Marseille' in which the main character, the Mayor of Marseille, is played by Gerard Depardeau. At one point he complains that his wife is constantly on his case about where he carries his cell phone - and proceeds to catalog the options along with the downside of each. He mentions that the problem with the pants pocket is proximity to certain male body parts that might not react well to being that close to a small radio transmitter.

In the original Queer Eye for the Straight Guy TV show, the fashion guru pointed out that cell phones are NOT fashion statements, and therefore should never be worn attached to the belt.

On a more serious note, the logistics of carrying a phone should be considered when deciding what to buy. I don't like to put my phone in my back pocket - I forsee sitting on it and cracking the screen. Transportation is one of the advantages of a flip phone - because it folds into a smaller package that protects the screen from damage, you may more options for carrying it around. So I chose a phone that is small enough that it fits into my shirt pocket, or that I can carry in a front pocket without creating an excessively large bulge.

Or you could do as the Europeans do and start carrying a handbag.

greenacres2

I still have a day job, so my carry is normally front pant pocket. About 1/3 of the time I'm in a suit coat or sports coat, then it's in a breast pocket.

Fully agree with @KenB259 on cargo pants. Been wearing 5.11 tactical pants instead of denims for several years. More expensive but also more durable, and I couldn't give up the pockets. Sawdust just brushes off easy too. Especially handy for travel or working on the roof. I think I could carry 3 smart phones and still have a hammer hook and a 2 huge back pocket for hand tools!
Earl

Mortalis

You could look at the Jitterbug flip phone.
Here are a few of the top rated flip phones for 2022
If you're open to new things, I love my Pixel 4 xl but you could go with the regular Pixel which isn't too large for a front pocket. I carry my Pixel 4 XL in my left back pocket and only time I feel I have to remove is when I sit in a hard seated or back chair. I've never had a back pocket phone rip upholstery.

jttheclockman

I'm currently watching the Netflix series 'Marseille' in which the main character, the Mayor of Marseille, is played by Gerard Depardeau. At one point he complains that his wife is constantly on his case about where he carries his cell phone - and proceeds to catalog the options along with the downside of each. He mentions that the problem with the pants pocket is proximity to certain male body parts that might not react well to being that close to a small radio transmitter.

In the original Queer Eye for the Straight Guy TV show, the fashion guru pointed out that cell phones are NOT fashion statements, and therefore should never be worn attached to the belt.

On a more serious note, the logistics of carrying a phone should be considered when deciding what to buy. I don't like to put my phone in my back pocket - I forsee sitting on it and cracking the screen. Transportation is one of the advantages of a flip phone - because it folds into a smaller package that protects the screen from damage, you may more options for carrying it around. So I chose a phone that is small enough that it fits into my shirt pocket, or that I can carry in a front pocket without creating an excessively large bulge.

Or you could do as the Europeans do and start carrying a handbag.
Wow never thought of this. At one time this was a big thing with brain cancer. Wonder if all these theories have been proven wrong. I do not wear cargo pants. They should make pants with a side pocket just for phones. I can just see this being a pain. I only have the phone on me when I go out. As far as fashion, I could care less what I look like. Convenience is what is all about. I want to thank everyone who has posted to this. Some real good intel. Going to have to make a decision before Nov. May take a walk through phone store to see what is available.

monophoto

Wow never thought of this. At one time this was a big thing with brain cancer. Wonder if all these theories have been proven wrong
There have been many studies of possible links between cell phone use and various cancers, and so far none have shown that there is any correlation at all.

The basis for the concern comes about because it is known that exposure to ionizing electromagnetic radiation can result in changes in both cellular structure and DNA. That's why radiation is used to treat various health conditions. However, at this point, the best available information is that these changes are the result of ionizing radiation such as microwaves, radar, and x-rays (both photon and proton varieties). Cell phones are sources of electromagnetic energy in the radio spectrum which means lower frequencies, and lower power levels; there is no evidence of any health effects attributable to exposure to radio frequencies.

According to the National Cancer Institute, the only directly provable health effects of cell phone use are related to distracted driving

I received radiation treatments for prostate cancer, and while the doctors aren't allowed to say that I've been cured until I die from something else, they are willing to say that they can see any evidence of cancer today. I may not be able to have children as a result, but at my age, I'm not worried about that.

Brian G

I didn't see it mentioned, but I advocate you purchase a pack of compatible "gorilla glass" or equivalent screen protectors and a raised edge protective case for whatever you buy. You'll be glad you did the first time you drop your phone and every time thereafter. You'll be mad you didn't the first time you have to replace a cracked screen.

bsshog40

My samsung s22 utra is big. But I'm still a back pocket guy. Just have to remember to take it out before I sit down. Lol Most of the time just sits next to me when I'm sitting. Lol

sorcerertd

Dockers used to make pants with a zippered seam pocket. It was hidden so as to not look like cargo pants. I'd imagine they are still around since cell phones are so common, but haven't looked. Maybe other brands have jumped on that bandwagon, too?

Top Bottom