New Blank, Opinions, Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wdcav1952

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
These pictures are of a new blank I got a preview of from Ernie at Beartoothwoods.com It is listed as birdseye cocobolo. Since it was such an interesting blank, I took a picture of the blank before I turned a Platinum Rollerball El Grande using it. I am not sure birdseye describes the finished pen, but I have never seen such grain in cocobolo. (BTW, the blank is not yet available, and I am hereby claiming first dibs when Ernie does list it for sale. [8D]

Opinions?

2005111823176_BearToothWoods%20Birdseye%20Cocobolo.jpg

20051118231829_Birdseye%20Cocobolo%20El%20Grande.jpg

1118232120_Birdsyes%20Cocobolo%20Rollerball%20Open.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texas Taco

Interesting, very interesting...............now if I could find a 2X2X6 for a duck call that would be very interesting indeed.

I like it.

Dan

William,

Call it whatever you like as long as you tell the rest of us how to order.

Actually, I'd offer that it looks like Bubinga as well, based on the color difference and the swirling. I'd say somebody found a great tree...

Dan
Unionville, VA

wdcav1952

Dan,

I got it from Ernie at BearToothWoods. He says it is cocobolo, and it smelled like it when I turned it. Although it is not on his website just yet, contact him by email and I am sure he would sell you some. His website is http://www.beartoothwoods.com/ and his email address is there on the contact me section. Just don't buy it all, I want some more! [:p]

Mikey

It is a very nice pen indeed.

It looks like Cocobolo to me as well. Bubinga looks a little lighter and never seems to have the dark streaks that I am used to seeing in cocobolo. I'll have to post a pic of some Bubinga that I got from Berea last week.[:D]

wayneis

I've seen cocobolo in every color and grain that one could think of, I have no trouble believeing that this wood is cocobolo. On the same hand it doesn't really look laike any Bubinga that I've ever seen, even the figured that I have in my shop right now.

William, is that porus? I think that I like this wood and I'll maybe have to give it a try. I wish it had more eyes but even in birds eye maple many times when you are making something as small as a pen the eyes just don't show up. You did a very nice job though, as usual. By the way, what did you use for a finish? [;)]

Wayne

wdcav1952

Wayne, need you ask? I have ended my flirtation with Waterlox and am back with Enduro where I belong!

For everyone, it IS Cocobolo. Ernie told me he got it at Gilmerwoods, and "they don't sell no junk!"

Yes, it is a bit porus. I decided to accent it rather than hide it. I put on two coats of thin CA after sanding to 400, sanded it down, a coat of thick CA, and sanded it down, then sanded through 12,000 micro mesh. This let me see the pores of the wood yet gave a smooth finish. I used the Deft sanding sealer, then the Enduro Poly followed by TSW. I am finding that I like this way of filling porosities over the sanding slurry method. In a wood like this with lots of subtle color changes, I feel that the slurry could blend the wood rather than accent it.

wdcav1952

Originally posted by atvrules1
<br />Very nice looking wood, I sure wouldn't mind trying a few out of that myself. Keep us updated on when it does show up for sale.

Alan,

I talked to Ernie directly yesterday. It is available for sale, just not yet on his website. http://www.beartoothwoods.com/

His email is there under the contact me link. Give him a push to be more active here at the IAP. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom