New Bandsaw!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

Just received a new Grizzly 0555LX bandsaw on Friday and have it set up and dialed in. I replaced the feet it came with for locking castor wheels so I can move it around my shop. This was the third shipping of it after the first two arrived damaged. I was about to put in a 'cheers and jeers' on it, but the third try they boxed it in a full wood crate and it showed up in mint condition.

I'm looking forward to taking a dive into the IAP Resources on segmenting with my new toy. Advice, safety tips, and suggested first projects are welcome!!

2021-08-07 Bandsaw 001 (1378x1920) (574x800).jpg

Todd

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - and congratulations on your new acquisition. I have had the the Shop Fox version of that model for a few years already and I really like it. That sucker is really heavy!!!

The dust collection on mine is somewhat marginal, except for removing the very fine particles, but I think that is typical for most band saws. There is just too much going on with the bearings and guides to fit really good extraction shrouds on them. I recently replaced the bearings and did a meticulous alignment on them. That and a new blade and it is just like brand new. I have a really good set of new blue urethane tires for it but I haven't put them on yet, the orange factory tires are still performing well. (I also have a second set of bearings for it for the next time I think it needs a good tune up).

So far I have been using Starrett 1/2-inch, 4TPI, Skip Tooth blades and I really like them. I initially had a 3/8-inch blade, but with the type of sawing I do I like the rigidity of the 1/2-inch better. I also have a new Timber Wolf brand 1/2-inch, 4TPI, Positive Claw blade, but I haven't used it yet to do a comparison. Considering the satisfaction I have had so far I will probably stick with Starrett.

The other thing I highly recommend is a set of the blue zero clearance inserts from Rockler, #21958, indicated for Jet. They are 2-1/2 inches OAD x 1-3/4 inches to the lip on the under side. I find them to be far superior to the aluminum ones that came with my saw, especially because I do some segmenting and the zero clearance keeps thin slices from falling through the slot as they did with the factory inserts.

Good Luck and I hope you really enjoy your new saw! - Dave

Dehn0045

Alex Snodgrass has some very good training sessions that are available on YouTube for setup and tuning.

I bought a used 14" delta that is similar and tuned it up. I upgraded to a link style drive belt which was inexpensive but was a nice little upgrade. Next I'm looking at a quick release for the tensioner, then riser block or upgraded guides.

Spend some time on dust collection.

Get the right blade for the job.

Have fun.

howsitwork

Make yourself a fixed 90* sled that fits in the guide tracks. Make it with a nice substantial backing board to cut partly into then you know exactly where a square cross cut is going to exit.

Todd in PA

Top Bottom