New and asking about tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Part Timer

So I am new, and just starting out pen turning, but used to do a lot of general wood crafts for fun. Since just starting out, and suggestions on a budget lathe, I know a 12 inch seems like the smallest size, but am referring to the more budget friendly models. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Not sure what kind of budget you have. I didn't want to spend a bunch when I first started out so I started with the basic starter set from PSI. I'm still using it for pens and smaller items and my big lathe for other items. The starter set is a great way to get a feel for this hobby without breaking the bank. Here's the one I got 3 years ago.

PenPal Pen Making Lathe Starter Set
#PENPALSS | Out of Stock

Others will be able to offer you some ideas too. It's all up to you. Welcome to the club and the addiction.

howsitwork

Handle the tools before you buy them so they fit YOUR hands . I started with s9me carbon steel tools ( ok , I am a fossil as my sons constantly remind me ! ) but carbon scrapers beat HSS hands down ! You just have to sharpen a bit more often.

Get a decent skew chisel and decent roughing gouge say 3/4" in HSS and keep them sharp. I would avoid oval skews as they're tricky . You can make a really good round skew from a bit of 1/2" HSS bar then make a handle to suit you. Copper pipe makes great ferrules.

Sorry don't know enough about US lathes to give you any useful advice but if you can find a local club ( AAW chapter I think they're everywhere?) then try the lathe out before you buy .

howsitwork

Tom

shame on you! Its not an addiction !

I deal with addicts ( professionally guys honest ) and they constantly crave more fixes to get satisfaction......

More tools, shines things, jigs, kits , saw blades....... Ok maybe it's a THERAPY not an addiction I'll give you that !😳😳

Tom

shame on you! Its not an addiction !

I deal with addicts ( professionally guys honest ) and they constantly crave more fixes to get satisfaction......

More tools, shines things, jigs, kits , saw blades....... Ok maybe it's a THERAPY not an addiction I'll give you that !😳😳

Ian, your a smart guy but...how many potato chips can you eat? Just one? I don't think so;). Like me I'll bet you eat just about the whole bag 🤔Therapy solves the addiction but everyone still wants more. So does the therapy work? If you think of pen turning as a therapy then you've still got the addiction, you've just changed the verbiage around a bit. And as you pointed out, spent a bunch more money on your therapy.
Be good my friend and stay healthy- Tom

howsitwork

Unless they're sweet chilli chips you lose that bet ! Oh and salted tortilla triangles ( chips over there?)

Staying healthy but getting wider due to comfort snacking.

The difference my friend 😉 is "Therapy " is good for you whilst addiction is bad and getting an addiction past SWMBO is tricky....

Now back to Rickys query I still say join a club and try out some lathes and tools before you commit to them. what say you ?

Ian

howsitwork

Ah but you ave not yet learned " the way of the tool whisperer " grasshopper Rick !

Annotated catalogues need leaving in prominent places where they can be seen, old ones with out of date prices are even better. Birthday , anniversary and Christmas planning is needed . Attendance at shows is compulsory always go with a buddy then the purchases in the boot are" not yours". You have not " bought it for $ , you have saved $$$ !!!

The wise ( married ) man ( bit of an oxymoron but bear with me on this ) , has taken careful note of all the phrases used in shoe shops and can likewise apply them to tool purchases .

Such are the ways of the tool whisperer 😇

Open to any other suggestions guys , and girls

Part Timer

Spoken very well, but i learned the ways of the truly wise wise husband. After finding a bargan, i take her with me and happen to see the new tool. I speak of things i could do around the home, and she insists i purchase. And if that doesent work, i just hand her the same amount, and she is happy. Remember with the wife, it is better to pactice a good offense to stop the need for a good defense.

Top Bottom