Never too old to learn something

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I can't believe I've struggled for years and never even knew these existed..... duh!!
Using normal digital calipers on a lathe can be pretty awkward sometimes and I've often wished 'they' would make a left handed pair....
Well, of course they do...... even around the same prices as right handed ones. You can get the Chinese cheapies on Amazon any day of the week.

Oh well live and learn hey? ;)
I hope I'm not the only one ...........
caliper 1.jpg
caliper 2.jpg
πŸ˜€πŸ˜
caliper 3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I can't believe I've struggled for years and never even knew these existed..... duh!!
Using normal digital calipers on a lathe can be pretty awkward sometimes and I've often wished 'they' would make a left handed pair....
Well, of course they do...... even around the same prices as right handed ones. You can get the Chinese cheapies on Amazon any day of the week.

Oh well live and learn hey? ;)
I hope I'm not the only one ...........
View attachment 225149View attachment 225150πŸ˜€πŸ˜View attachment 225151
You wanted another excuse to buy more toys. Just admit already you have an addiction.

magpens

Hey .... avoids the reach-over !!! . . THANK YOU, Skip !!

But then, I'd have to learn to look out of the other eye !!

.... and put the left thumb on the other side of that hand .... and turn the palm around !!

When I was in the military all the M14's and 16's were right handed. So all the lefties either learned to shoot right handed or had to reach over the barrel to chamber the first round. Killed them on the time qualifications. I also had a friend who bought a left handed circular saw (yes they make them) and he was right handed. He lost 3 1/2 fingers using it. I think you'll be okay with a lefty caliper though. Glad you found it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
As my left handed wife says: Lefties - Only the strong survive; every one else becomes righties! 😁

I am right handed but as a very young kid, my dad started me out in baseball as a left handed batter (Half a step closer to 1st base). As a result, I golf left handed, switch back and forth in tennis and more importantly for LOML, I Sweep and Vac left handed!

Skip, I am surprised that you don't use a micrometer (.0001) rather than calipers (.001) I thought all machinists used the micrometers more so than calipers. I learned something today!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Haha.....Hank I'm a sparky, not a machinist. I'm also not a southpaw, I just think holding a regular caliper on a small workpiece is (was 😊) always a pain. Nothing I ever make warrants using a micrometer πŸ˜‡
But perhaps there is some truth in JT's logic that it was just a reason to buy more tools....😁

Top Bottom