Never casted - I don't know any better

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JeffW

Only because I don't know any better. I see threads where folks have ultrasonic units, pressure/vacuum pots and vibrating tables but I checked the library and casting PR seems possible on a simple basis.

What is the minimum I need to do some clear pen blank casts and a few with color?

I realize the sophisticated equipment and processes will yield better results but I just would like to try my hand at a few blanks without breaking the bank. (Famous last words ).

I'd also like to know what considerations I need to make for thicker casts such as a bottle stopper blanks. Any and all comments are welcomed as I have one one direction to go and that is up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTownSubbie

Only because I don't know any better. I see threads where folks have ultrasonic units, pressure/vacuum pots and vibrating tables but I checked the library and casting PR seems possible on a simple basis.

What is the minimum I need to do some clear pen blank casts and a few with color?

I realize the sophisticated equipment and processes will yield better results but I just would like to try my hand at a few blanks without breaking the bank. (Famous last words ).

I'd also like to know what considerations I need to make for thicker casts such as a bottle stopper blanks. Any and all comments are welcomed as I have one one direction to go and that is up.

You don't NEED an ultrasonic cleaner. You can just use a warm water bath.

Pressure pot is not required if your resin is heated well and releases bubbles readily.

Vacuum should be reserved for stabilization.

What is the minimum you need?
- Resin/Catalyst
- Something to pour it in (mold or something else)
- Cups for mixing
- Craft sticks for stirring
- coloring for the colored blanks

You can spend as little or as much as you want. Check around there are threads that talk about what you need to start. I would say to start you don't need it all. The cleaners and pots are conveniences if you are making normal blanks without embellishments. Just my $0.02

Give it a go.....

Russianwolf

The less you know the better in my opinion. The reason being is you'll be more likely to think outside the box when you don't know what the box is.

Basics as mentioned above are all you need and a will to experiment.

Lenny

MartinPens

I would put a respirator and some airtight containers on the required list. This stuff stinks and if you read the warnings, you would have to have a death wish not to wear a very good respirator. Have fun. I'm learning one mistake at a time! : ) Maybe two at a time actually.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

JeffW

Thanks for the responses

I appreciate the quick replies. I'll put a couple of orders together and maybe I'll be ready to experiment by next weekend. I have a good respirator but will add a couple of chemical filters for it. Thanks for the heads up.

GoodTurns

if you are married or sharing quarters, it would be good to aquire an "outside". This is as important or even more important than the respirator (personally don't use one and have noticed no ill effects, whereas pouring PR inside has had immediate and significant impact upon my wellbeing)...:wink:

(stuff REALLY stinks when it cures and will permeate the entire house)

DozerMite

Banned
I would put a respirator and some airtight containers on the required list. This stuff stinks and if you read the warnings, you would have to have a death wish not to wear a very good respirator. Have fun. I'm learning one mistake at a time! : ) Maybe two at a time actually.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Someone actually read the MSDS??? Good for you Martin!

Always cast safe and know what your working with.

if you are married or sharing quarters, it would be good to aquire an "outside". This is as important or even more important than the respirator (personally don't use one and have noticed no ill effects, whereas pouring PR inside has had immediate and significant impact upon my wellbeing)...:wink:

(stuff REALLY stinks when it cures and will permeate the entire house)

Now here is one that hasn't read the MSDS.

You may not notice any "ill effects" but, wait until your liver or kidneys fail or develope a tumor.
Think you will feel it then?
It's not about the immediate effects as in the smell or the better half verbally abusing you, it's the long term effects that get you. Perhaps if you don't have long term time, you need not be concerned?:confused:

JeffW

Great visit

Had a great visit today with PtownSubbie. Very informative and very generous with his time and knowledge. Thanks.

Top Bottom