NEJE laser engraver.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

I've got a question for everyone who owns a NEJE. Which model do you have the 3500 or the 7w? Nancy has mine in, the 3500mw, and I'm wondering now if I should have ordered the 7w.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Yep, you can order the 7w and 20w lasers for the NEJE. They are interchangeable. Just depends on what you are wanting to engrave.

BryanMurphy

I have the 20watt model (sold by KKMoon). The larger laser is supposed to work well for cutting as well as engraving.

I was really excited about the cutting ability but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. For engraving, it is a VERY capable device.

mick

I ordered the 3500 on Nancy's recommendation after talking to her about what I planned to use it for. After she let me know it was in I started thinking about the 7w. It would have saved me around $25 but buying the laser later on is not all that cost prohibited. Adding the 20w is quite a bit more but if I find there's more I want to do with it I could add that later.

mick

I was really excited about the cutting ability but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. For engraving, it is a VERY capable device.

This is what I was thinking about, cutting acrylic to make custom displays.

keithbyrd

I have the 3500 but haven't taken the time to do much with it yet. I hear that its not very good for engraving antler, ivory and some acrylics. Does anyone have any experience to the contrary? I have a big project I'm into now for the next 2-3 weeks - then want to start messing with the NEJE and see what I can do with it.

ramaroodle

I have the 3500 and also bought the 7W head (maybe prematurely for the same reasons you're thinking). If you're just turning pens, before you buy the 7W buy the new lens from Nancy. Using the Benson Pace jig which allows you to do multiple passes with no creep gets the job done. The 7W works better on acrylics. Burns deeper.

bsshog40

I have the 3500 and I have engraved wood, leather and even antler with it. The antler is a little tougher but you can also set the engraver to do more than one pass on the engraving. Each pass will burn a little deeper. I have actually cut light veneer with 2 passes. I think the 7w would do much better though. The 20w is suppose to be able to engrave metal. As I haven't had a need for either yet, the 3500 is fine for wood and leather. I have done 3 passes on a piece of wood and it burned enough to put an inlay in.
1st - Here's my inlay with mica powder.
2nd - is some wood engraving
3rd - is depth cut with 2 passes using the 3500
4th - Leather engraving
5th - Antler

Attachments

• Mica powder star.jpg
    Mica powder star.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 227
  • 2nd amendment skul and guns.jpg
    2nd amendment skul and guns.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 208
  • depth test engraving cut.jpg
    depth test engraving cut.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 235
  • sheath dyed 2.jpg
    sheath dyed 2.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 210
  • antler.jpg
    antler.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 201

campzeke

I have the 3500 and I have engraved wood, leather and even antler with it. The antler is a little tougher but you can also set the engraver to do more than one pass on the engraving. Each pass will burn a little deeper. I have actually cut light veneer with 2 passes. I think the 7w would do much better though. The 20w is suppose to be able to engrave metal. As I haven't had a need for either yet, the 3500 is fine for wood and leather. I have done 3 passes on a piece of wood and it burned enough to put an inlay in.
1st - Here's my inlay with mica powder.
2nd - is some wood engraving
3rd - is depth cut with 2 passes using the 3500
4th - Leather engraving
5th - Antler
What settings are you using to engrave the antler?

duncsuss

This is what I was thinking about, cutting acrylic to make custom displays.
I have the 20W. I seriously doubt it will cut acrylic thicker than about 1/8" in a way you'd be happy with - I might be wrong, but I would not expect to get a clean edged cut with it.

If that's what you are looking for, I suggest you look into the 40W and higher laser units which are a completely different technology (they use CO2 lasers and moving mirrors, not laser diodes on an moving gantry).

ramaroodle

It does require some trial and error to get it right. I started using a notebook and jotting down what settings work best on which material. Too much power or too long a ms setting causes the wood to catch fire around the laser which causes a degradation of the crispness of the line. I use GluBoost on wood and apply a few extra coats to give more depth and greatly decrease the amount of burning of the edges.

Yes, if you are looking to actually "cut" acrylic then you need a CO2 laser or a CNC machine IMHO.

qquake

Where did you guys get your NEJE engravers? All I can find are 3000mw and 5500mw. Can you post photos of your setup to engrave pens? And maybe a couple of examples of engraved acrylic?

ramaroodle

Go to this Facebook page. Nancy McEntire is an admin for this page and other related groups. She is the exclusive distributor for the Benson Pace jig and sells the NEJE Master 2 lasers. You will want the Master 2 lasers with the 3500 and 7W being the most popular. Nancy is always on FB and is a wealth of knowledge and her customer service is unbeatable. Worth paying a little more to buy from her. She is also a member here on IAP.

Another option is the T-Shadow jig.

qquake

Go to this Facebook page. Nancy McEntire is an admin for this page and other related groups. She is the exclusive distributor for the Benson Pace jig and sells the NEJE Master 2 lasers. You will want the Master 2 lasers with the 3500 and 7W being the most popular. Nancy is always on FB and is a wealth of knowledge and her customer service is unbeatable. Worth paying a little more to buy from her. She is also a member here on IAP.

Another option is the T-Shadow jig.
Okay, I joined her group, now waiting for approval. What is a Benson Pace Jig?

ramaroodle

Okay, I joined her group, now waiting for approval. What is a Benson Pace Jig?
It is the jig you use (as is the T-Shadow) to engrave on a circular pen blank. Also join her NEJE Master group. Look her up here on IAP as a member and PM her. She'll bring you up to speed.

Top Bottom