Neje 3500mw and Rotary Jig Compatibility Issues?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Just received both and found that the body of the rotary jig (the thing that has the 2 circular holding loops) will not fit snugly onto the carriage/platform of the laser engraver. It appears that two washers on the engraver are interfering with the jig fitting fully (the full depth of the groove on the jig that accepts the platform) and snugly. I have spoken and and exchanged pictures with thee inventor (nice guy) and he offered to correct the "problem", but I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I ordered another neje 3500 from Amazon this time to see if it is somehow made differently enough to accommodate the jig properly.

Thanks for reading.
20191209_233006_resized.jpg20191209_233014_resized.jpg20191209_232046_resized.jpg20191209_232117_resized.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

I just looked at mine thinking that maybe they used a bigger nylon spacer on yours but it looks to be the same size.

But I too am making my own overly engineered(TM) rotary jig that uses a separate stepper motor and a 3 jaw chuck that can handle more stuff.

laser.jpg

TonyL

I just looked at mine thinking that maybe they used a bigger nylon spacer on yours but it looks to be the same size.

But I too am making my own overly engineered(TM) rotary jig that uses a separate stepper motor and a 3 jaw chuck that can handle more stuff.

View attachment 229206
nice! Yes the spacer is either larger or closer to the edge of the platform.

chartle

nice! Yes the spacer is either larger or closer to the edge of the platform.
I just measured it and its about 8mm of space, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used a different spacer. These are made with mostly off the shelf parts and they just need to make sure the inner diameter is correct.

But it looks like all you need to do is use something like the sander attachment of a dremel and cut away a little plastic. But I can see if this is an issue there has to be some clearance for these in the design.

TonyL

I just measured it and its about 8mm of space, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used a different spacer. These are made with mostly off the shelf parts and they just need to make sure the inner diameter is correct.

But it looks like all you need to do is use something like the sander attachment of a dremel and cut away a little plastic. But I can see if this is an issue there has to be some clearance for these in the design.
That was my idea, but I may return it to TS Shadow.

Larryreitz

I'll be following this. I am having nothing but problems with my Shortness rotary jig. The Neje engraves perfectly on flat stock. The Jig I have fits on the Neje, however, it focuses at about 10:30 to 11:00. It seems to me it should be at 12:00. I have used some veneer pieces in the jig to adjust it to 12:00 and then it is just too loose.

When using the jig to engrave multiple lines of equal size they vary substantially on the blank. There is no correlation with the progression of the burn either. Sometimes the first line is OK and another line looks like the font is half size. I have tried a number of fixes including replacing the supplied bushings with an actual pen bushing and making a wood bushing to replace the supplied ones. I have even tried coating the supplied bushing with school glue as suggested by a fellow on the Facebook page. Nothing seems to work.

The Benson Pace jig may be a better design, but from what I read it may be undergoing design refinement, and may not be readily available. I sure would like to get this worked out as I planned to give engraved pens to my relatives for Christmas presents.

Larry

TonyL

Ok, I received the one from Amazon and the jig still doesn't fit. I thought I may have received an older model that fit the jig.

One would have to remove a lot of material to get the jig to fit. It is not a question of smaller diameter spacers. The spacer are too close to the edge of the carriage. That's all I got. I did get the laser to work. Nancy McEntyre helped me set it up. She really is an unbelievable asset.

She has quite a shop and amazing service (live!).

Top Bottom