Negative rake carbide cutters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mkemmet

Although I've spent a fair amount of time turning with carbide cutters, I have not used a negative rake carbide cutter such as Easy Wood Tools Ci-R2 negative rake square cutter. What is the advantage of a negative rake cutter against a normal, flat-topped carbide cutter? Any and all comments about your experience with a negative rake cutter would be greatly appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robersonjr

I started using them on plastic blanks a few months ago, since then I haven't had a single blank catch or shatter. I only use them on the blanks I know I had problems with in the past. I have no complaints, for me it was worth the investment.

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I love my negative rake carbide cutters. I don't get any chips flying at me like shrapnel anymore. I too don't get any catches or blanks shattering. It's really worth getting them.

More4dan

For much less $$ and the ability to sharpen, I made and use this.

As turned no sanding.

I mounted a standard cutter with a 20 degree negative rake ground into the holder made of 1/2" square bar.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1761.JPG
    IMG_1761.JPG
    450.9 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1764.JPG
    IMG_1764.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

rsieracki

For much less $$ and the ability to sharpen, I made and use this.

As turned no sanding.

I mounted a standard cutter with a 20 degree negative rake ground into the holder made of 1/2" square bar.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

i really like this idea as lately i've been turning acrylics on my metal lathe as much as possible getting them as thin and as flat as possible.

More4dan

i really like this idea as lately i've been turning acrylics on my metal lathe as much as possible getting them as thin and as flat as possible.

I turn most of mine on my metal lathe to about 0.100" larger than the bushings. I then hand turn the curved taper to the final dimensions at the ends of the blanks. My next mini project is to build a holder for the normal carbide wood turning insert to use on my metal lathe QCP.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

rsieracki

ive been doing thin/straight sided pens like executives and zens.. i turn .005-.010 above bushings. then wet sand/micromesh and buff and they are perfect... turned some inlace acrylester from square down to round on my metal lathe and had NONE of the typical chipping either

Top Bottom