Needs to warm up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

been dying to get out in the garage and do some turning but it's been so cold here in DC that it's not even fun!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

My day starts with: 1) start coffee. 2) take last nights empty beer bottles to garage recycling 3) turn on 220 heater in garage... hours later I can go out. It's 35 here today, and in 2 hours I had a 65 degree garage. Don't care if I am wasting electricity, I need mancave/shop time for my sanity. The 220 heater (Northern tools) was the first solution that worked for me.

been dying to get out in the garage and do some turning but it's been so cold here in DC that it's not even fun!

I hear you brother. Before I got my shop heater I would freeze in the unheated shop. I had to take everything out that couldn't freeze so it wouldn't get ruined. I have a heater in it now but with temps hitting the -30's+ at night and really not getting above -6 during the day I have to give the shop an extra little help with my two burner Mr. Heat so I can work comfortably in it without 6 layers of clothes. But the good news is we're having a heat wave coming soon, we're supposed to get above 0 but still be a bit below 32. Still warm enough and this cold should kill the bark beetles we get that kill a lot of trees.

My day starts with: 1) start coffee. 2) take last nights empty beer bottles to garage recycling 3) turn on 220 heater in garage... hours later I can go out. It's 35 here today, and in 2 hours I had a 65 degree garage. Don't care if I am wasting electricity, I need mancave/shop time for my sanity. The 220 heater (Northern tools) was the first solution that worked for me.
Hey I'm in Triad area of NC and its 30 here and the power has been off since 4:30am and no heat all electric the boss lady has a epically condition that she can't take smell and fumes of other type heat, on top of that thenew generator won't start.

Hey I'm in Triad area of NC and its 30 here and the power has been off since 4:30am and no heat all electric the boss lady has a epically condition that she can't take smell and fumes of other type heat, on top of that thenew generator won't start.

Had the same problem with my back up generator. I was told that I probably got some water in the gas that froze in the carburetor. Honda told me to put some "Heat" in it, it's a gasoline additive, and it worked great, started right up. My 10kw diesel generator is a different story, it gets cold out and I have to put a heater under it so it will start.

jjjaworski

The cold front has not hit Southern New Mexico yet but is expected to this evening with low about 18-20 with snow tomorrow. I am sure everyone that was born here will be excited. I am from western New York so it will just be a nuisance until it melts when the sun comes out.

Got my yard work done early on today and spent some time in my unheated garage doing some turning and prep work. Just getting a few pen sets turned down to size so i can work on CA finish next weekend when it will be warmer.

Jon Nutting

I'm in Dallas and it's the coldest weather we've had in 30 years!!! Friggin highs in the 20s and lows in the single digits...we aren't used to that here so no shop time for me for at least a week 😟. I started trading crypto to pass the time...lol. made a little dough so can't complain too much.

EricRN

Not a bad routine! I don't have a 220 circuit unfortunately. The 1500W heaters don't do much in my uninsulated garage. I had a heat dish for awhile that made it tolerable. But that thing broke and it's so cold now I'm not even sure that would help much!

Ray-CA

This is my mantra!

Attachments

• Cold Minions.jpg
    Cold Minions.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 97

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska - It has hardly been above zero here in Nebraska for nearly a week. One of the Midwest sandwich chains (mostly in Nebraska, but a couple of stores in Iowa, Kansas, and Colorado) called Runza has a "Temperature Tuesday" promotion in the winter. On Tuesdays the cost of their signature Runza sandwich is the temperature at 6:00 AM. Last Tuesday, they "sold" more than 83 thousand sandwiches for $0 (along with about $2 for the required fries and drink). So, there was an upside to the low temperature for at least 83 thousand folks. (I wasn't one of them though - too cold to go out and wait in a line for a free sandwich). - Dave

1080Wayne

Feel for you guys without heated facilities . Been minus 30-35C here most nights for last two weeks . But we keep the farm shop at 18-20 C so shirtsleeve working environment for me for 3 or 4 hours a day . Then I can retire to my fireplace , and burn wood not worthy of a pen or other object . The fireplace lowers my blood pressure by about 15 points . S wind now , so will warm up in a couple days .

howsitwork

Suddenly realizing it's not too bad here at -2C . One of first things installed in workshop was oil filled radiator to keep temps at about 12C. I watched electricity bill,for first few years but , with decent insulation of floor by 18mm chipboard and glass fibre in walls , decided it wasn't too bad and SOO much nicer.

Stay safe folks

Jon Nutting

Yall confirmed what I already knew, we Texans are wimps when it comes to handling cold! Can't imagine some of the temps yall are talking about!

Snow and cold are four letter words.... not ones I like to say..... I am one of those wimpy Texans.

It's 36 degrees here in East Tennessee where we are... an advantage of being backed up to the mountains I guess, the weather roes around us...
with temps like you guys have posted, I would be like those iguanas in Florida.... get paralized by the cold and just fall out of my tree.

Curly

Like 1080Wayne it has been cold here. Down to -50ºC/-58ºF one night with the wind chill. I've been driving Marla to and from work at the hospital and yesterday morning it was about -30ºC/-22ºF. I had the windshield defroster going to keep the inside from icing over and there was a loud SNAP!! Then a couple seconds later another SNAP!! I had two cracks running out from a pair of small, closely spaced rock chips, one to the left door post and another to the right to that door post. The outside layer of cold glass didn't like the inside layer being warm and said so by letting go. While I would like a new windshield I think I'll wait until it is warmer so the sealant can bed and cure properly. The truck has that guy with missing tooth look to it now.

EricRN

Well, all this talk about warm shops has me wanting to replace my defunct heat dish. Thinking I'll go propane this time. What do you all think would be enough for an uninsulated 2 car garage? 125k btus? Or could I get by with 85k? The price difference is t that much so think I'll go larger. And it might be a fools errand trying to heat up an uninsulated garage in any event. Don't need it to be toasty. Just tolerable.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gentlemen, please listen to the SCIENTISTS!!!

We are all victims of global WARMING!!!! You can't possibly be COLD!?!?!?!?!
We have been in single digits (above and below zero) about a week now--I sincerely
THOUGHT I was cold!!

On a serious note, remember resins and plastics get brittle in the cold--they can be VERY DIFFICULT to turn successfully.

Top Bottom