Need to Make "THAT" Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Are there many pen turners here that over the years looked at all the pens that come through these forums and either say I have to make a pen like that or just wonder how it was made and could I do it? Over the years there are so many WOW pens that have been shown here and I have saved a few of them hoping to one day duplicate and honor the person that made them. There is one pen that I always go back to and just marvel at and hopefully someday figure out how it was made. Unfortunately the secret to this pen has been kept forever. I will not reveal it until I give a full out try when I get the time. But back when it was made at the beginning stages of this forum, sharing secrets and how to's was not something that was encouraged. I do believe we have evolved past this way of thinking and most will be glad to share their work in hopes that the ideas will carry on to other pen turners and maybe even improved on as they reappear with time. If I do figure it out I will share it because it is way past time to not be revealed.

So the point of this posting is to ask is there other members here wanting to replicate a certain pen they saw that gets the creative juices flowing? Maybe you have an idea how it was made or maybe you just are too shy to ask and really do want to try. If you want to reveal the exact pen and explain what it is you want to do, that would be fine. Maybe we can help you get there. It would be interesting to see if there are others that have these same thoughts as they browse the many pages of beautiful artful work here. Happy Turning!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

That's a great suggestion, John.
Thre are many designs that I would like to replicate.
I will start the ball rolling with one that I have been working on recently ( not too successfully ) from akbar24601.

Alan

Attachments

• 6411-1231024934-3daf9cac9c37053a7ef339b91c6b1e8e.jpg
    6411-1231024934-3daf9cac9c37053a7ef339b91c6b1e8e.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 128

DBDanger

This is a fantastic idea, and I put this thread on my watch list. The first pen looks incredible! I look forward to seeing what else is posted in this thread.

-Danger

jttheclockman

That's a great suggestion, John.
Thre are many designs that I would like to replicate.
I will start the ball rolling with one that I have been working on recently ( not too successfully ) from akbar24601.

Alan
Alan this is exactly what I am talking about. That WOW pen that sort of defys logic but you have photo as proof. I wish you well and hope you can honor the maker with a replica. Good luck.

sorcerertd

There are quite a few I would love to be able to do. There is a huge pool of talent here. I posted one from the gallery quite some time ago very similar to what Alan shared.

Painfullyslow

Like others here there are a more than a few of Skiprats pens that I would love to be able to make but most of them require an actual metal lathe which I do not have.

A few of the ones which I have no idea how they were made are these:

1655041832234.png

1655041854941.png

This one I should be able to do, I just haven't tried segmenting anything with angles this extreme. Without seeing the entire circumference of the pen I cannot say if the points are all the same length so I am unsure if this was two blanks that were cut on angles and attached multiple times (which has issues with the blade kerf changing the depth of the points) or if the copper blank had all the angles cut and then recast with a white resin to fill in the voids.

1655041899462.png

This one is not complicated compared to some others and I believe that I already have the skills for it, I just have yet to get around to trying it.

1655042140102.png

Alan Morrison

Like others here there are a more than a few of Skiprats pens that I would love to be able to make but most of them require an actual metal lathe which I do not have.
A few of the ones which I have no idea how they were made
Michael, if you check out Skiprat's 'Tips and Tricks' section there are plenty of photographs showing how some of his pens were made.

Top Bottom