Need some advice (now a gloat!)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

LOML told me I could get a new lathe for our anniversary and I need to know what y'all think. One choice is the Nova DVR XP. The other is the Powermatic 3520B. Cost is virtually the same when equipped like I want. So what say the experts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

My local club got the Powermatic earlier this year. It is rock solid and exceptionally smooth. It also has a ridiculous amount of low end torque. I can't offer any knowledge of the Nova, but I wouldn't hesitate to go for the Powermatic.

PenWorks

The last time I used a Powermatic, was in high school. It wasn't as spiffy as the new ones. I am sure we are all biased about our opinions. But I wouldn't trade my DVR for a Powermatic. But whatever you decide, your in a no loose situation [:)]

alamocdc

Y'all are making this decision so much easier, thanks (said in my best tongue in cheek)! [}:)] But I expected nothing less. I knew there would be strong proponents for each and I do appreciate all input. I'll probably have a decision made when I wake up in the morning.

olsenla

I don't think you could go wrong with either one----but I am biased and the more I use my DVR XP, the more I love it.

Larry

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Billy, why don't you show a pic of both to your wife and get her to pick, that way if you don't like it you can blame her[:D]

I just asked my wife the same and she said %$%*&

alamocdc

Originally posted by skiprat
<br />Billy, why don't you show a pic of both to your wife and get her to pick, that way if you don't like it you can blame her[:D]

I just asked my wife the same and she said %$%*&

Riiight... that's about as likely as me picking her out a new pair of shoes! She either wouldn't like them, or complain about not having anything to go with them and have to go shopping. Either way, I lose.[}:)][;)]

I'm pretty sure my mind is made up. Will know more tonight.

Dario

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Dario, I can't check my email from here. You'll have to email me at work.

Come on, whatcha waitin' on? THe suspense is killing me.

You'll have to wait 'till tonight...may take time to take in all the info that I sent you [}:)]

Dario

What the heck...read on.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2767364&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=

http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=3067

IF you decide with PM 3520, these threads may help you...

http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=909&highlight=3520+spindle+lock
http://www.woodturner.org/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1839

Dario

I like these 2 comments...

"In my opinion frankly they are not even in the same league. I turned a little bit on one at Woodcraft. It is a VERY nice lathe, but is more equalivet to a JET 1642 than the Powermatic... I don't know how/ why Powermatic does it, but the 3520 has to be the best bargain in the whole turning world. If it sold for $3500 it still would be a good deal."

and

"I vote 3520. The DVR is a darn good lathe but it comes in a distant second in this race."

alamocdc

First, thanks to all for the input!!!

I went and did it... gave the nod to order the mustard (and a new SN2 chuck and a couple sets of jaws for the new lathe). [:0] Couple that w/the hollowing tools I bought recently and I'm rarin' to go. I'm not sure if I'll get it before I head down to Texas for Christmas, but I know it'll be waiting on me when I get back and I'm more excited than a kid w/a new fishin' pole!!!!!!

Dario

Congrats and welcome to the mustard club!!! [}:)]

I think/believe you won't regret this purchase.

Now go and give Norma hugs and kisses! [;)]

BTW, does she know that you might end up spending more time in the shop with this lathe than her when it gets there? Or is that her intention? hmmm [}:)] LOL

alamocdc

Yes, Cav, it is. I know because I was the same way when Dario got his! The sad part; it won't be in before I leave. The glad part; Dario told me I could test drive his while I was down there.

Dario

Originally posted by Tangboy5000
<br />Now, now, where is your Christmas spirit. A Christmas miracle could happen and it could be here before you leave, or not.[;)]

Charles,

Does this mean you are out on the open as Powermatic Lathe dealer??? [}:)][:D][;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom