Need Laser Advice...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Arnold

Hello, I have not turned a pen in over ten years and just now getting back into the hobby,,,,I am looking for laser advice...What would be a good power range just for pens? Which lasers should I be looking at? I would like to keep laser and rotary under $500.....Thank you...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Campbell

A lot of folks go with the NEJE lasers. I have two.

The original is a 1500, which is fine for pen barrels. The problem is finding the rotary adapter for the 1500. It's small. Restricted to a 1 5/8" square area. The 1500 is usually around $100-$150.

The other NEJE I have is the 3500 watt. It is the general go-to for engraving. It will engrave up to a 6" area. There is a rotary adapter for it. The adapter is usually in high demand. The 3500 can be upgraded to a 20 watt, but if you are engraving and not cutting, you wont need the 20 watt. The 3500 is usually around $200-$280.

In either case if your buying one used make sure it's the Master 2S. The older version of software is no longer really supported. I bought my 3500 used. Is wasn't the Master 2S. The upgrade ended up costing me $125 or so, since the laser head for the older series 3500 will not work with the newer Master 2S series.

Arnold

A lot of folks go with the NEJE lasers. I have two.

The original is a 1500, which is fine for pen barrels. The problem is finding the rotary adapter for the 1500. It's small. Restricted to a 1 5/8" square area. The 1500 is usually around $100-$150.

The other NEJE I have is the 3500 watt. It is the general go-to for engraving. It will engrave up to a 6" area. There is a rotary adapter for it. The adapter is usually in high demand. The 3500 can be upgraded to a 20 watt, but if you are engraving and not cutting, you wont need the 20 watt. The 3500 is usually around $200-$280.

In either case if your buying one used make sure it's the Master 2S. The older version of software is no longer really supported. I bought my 3500 used. Is wasn't the Master 2S. The upgrade ended up costing me $125 or so, since the laser head for the older series 3500 will not work with the newer Master 2S series.
Thanks Jim, you have been very helpful...

SteveJ

I've got a 15w Ortur which is similar to a Neje. It will serve you well and with a rotary will run less that $500. The Neje probably has better stateside support if you buy from Nancy (sorry,I don't remember her website). That said, depending on your ability and interest in tinkering you could get a get a cheap CO2 laser and rotary which would have far greater capacity if you want to expand to more intense engraving or cutting.

Arnold

I've got a 15w Ortur which is similar to a Neje. It will serve you well and with a rotary will run less that $500. The Neje probably has better stateside support if you buy from Nancy (sorry,I don't remember her website). That said, depending on your ability and interest in tinkering you could get a get a cheap CO2 laser and rotary which would have far greater capacity if you want to expand to more intense engraving or cutting.
Thanks for the reply Steve, I was planning on buying from Nancy once I decide on which laser I want...

Top Bottom