Need I.D. Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cozee

cozee

Cleaning out a few ratholes down in the dungeon and found these. Does anyone know where I might find instructions so I can get the dimensions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6745.JPG
    IMG_6745.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6746.JPG
    IMG_6746.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 94
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Here's the CSUSA Instructions for their crush grinder. It looks like what you have.

Attachments

• CSUSA crush_grinder.pdf
    195.1 KB · Views: 80
Greg,
good to see you back again... haven't been to MPG since it was in Urbana... not likely to ever go to Chicago, don't like big cities anymore... and most of the children that lived in Urbana have moved away, so....

On you CG mill grinders... I turn lots of them, the instructions from EDGAR are similar to what I do most of the time.... where the instructions call for a 1 1/16 drill bit, I skip that step and drill straight through with the 1 9/16"... it gives you much more storage room in the mill and it's just easier/read cheaper to not have to use the third drill bit on the body.... also I think the instructions calls for a removal of the tabs at the top of the grinder and the drive piece in the top.... I don't removed those, I cut a groove in the mill body and top at the depth of those tabs so they will fit in the groove and will prevent the grinder parts from coming out. Sorby makes a recess tool just for that groove or if you have the recess tool for chasing threads, you can measure the depth needed and use that tool.... I have both.
I also cut a tenon on the top piece that will fit down into the 1 9/16 hole in the body... that keeps the top from wobbling.
I use the 10" shafted grinders and cut the shaft to whatever length I need for the mill. I use a pair of heavy pliers with a cutter on them to cut the aluminum shafts, then reshape on my belt sander.... it would be easier to use a hack saw in a vise or a metal cutoff tool with the shaft in a vise... I don't have either.
Have fun, they are easy to do.

BTW, you can still buy the grinders from Cam Lavers at Crushgrind.ca out of Canada or from Amazon... about the same price... just make sure they are made by Ideal out of Denmark.... PSI sells a similar unit for less money, but I prefer the Ideal units.

cozee

Greg,
good to see you back again... haven't been to MPG since it was in Urbana... not likely to ever go to Chicago, don't like big cities anymore... and most of the children that lived in Urbana have moved away, so....

On you CG mill grinders... I turn lots of them, the instructions from EDGAR are similar to what I do most of the time.... where the instructions call for a 1 1/16 drill bit, I skip that step and drill straight through with the 1 9/16"... it gives you much more storage room in the mill and it's just easier/read cheaper to not have to use the third drill bit on the body.... also I think the instructions calls for a removal of the tabs at the top of the grinder and the drive piece in the top.... I don't removed those, I cut a groove in the mill body and top at the depth of those tabs so they will fit in the groove and will prevent the grinder parts from coming out. Sorby makes a recess tool just for that groove or if you have the recess tool for chasing threads, you can measure the depth needed and use that tool.... I have both.
I also cut a tenon on the top piece that will fit down into the 1 9/16 hole in the body... that keeps the top from wobbling.
I use the 10" shafted grinders and cut the shaft to whatever length I need for the mill. I use a pair of heavy pliers with a cutter on them to cut the aluminum shafts, then reshape on my belt sander.... it would be easier to use a hack saw in a vise or a metal cutoff tool with the shaft in a vise... I don't have either.
Have fun, they are easy to do.

BTW, you can still buy the grinders from Cam Lavers at Crushgrind.ca out of Canada or from Amazon... about the same price... just make sure they are made by Ideal out of Denmark.... PSI sells a similar unit for less money, but I prefer the Ideal units.
Great to here from you Chuck!! Thanks for the information!! Dawn and I are preparing for "retirement" (Dec. 2024) we have a few motorcycle road trips planned for 2025. One of them will put us down in your area. We were down there in 2023 but it was a in and out trip.

Top Bottom