Need help with wood ID

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timber Ripper

I found this piece of interesting wood in my box of blanks and considering pairing it with a sierra chrome kit and gifting ot to a co-worker who is moving on. When i gift a pen, I like to inform the recipient of the type of wood it 'tis made from,,
Any help with identifying this piece would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 134
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

My best guess from the pics is walnut, possibly claro walnut.

Additional info that might be helpful: sanded endgrain pic, relative weight and hardness (compare to known wood that you have), anything special like oilyness or odors, any info about origin (if it is likely to be domestic or exotic, or common exotics versus something rare or a total one-off, or maybe local to a specific region).

Timber Ripper

Are the ends waxed? It looks like there's some shined wax on parts of it. Resembles some Red Malee I have.

The ends are not wax.. The shine you see is just from them being misted with water. As far as its origin, The blank was a short which was included in the bob I won in the random drawing at last years bash. It was donated by Edgar.
I send Edgar a PM asking him if he recalls what it is.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Are the ends waxed? It looks like there's some shined wax on parts of it. Resembles some Red Malee I have.

The ends are not wax.. The shine you see is just from them being misted with water. As far as its origin, The blank was a short which was included in the bob I won in the random drawing at last years bash. It was donated by Edgar.
I send Edgar a PM asking him if he recalls what it is.

We should wait on Edgar's input. However, that makes me think - he is in mesquite country, and has both pecan and walnut trees in the area. I still go with walnut followed by mesquite.

Dehn0045

IMHO walnut has a pretty distinct odor, you could sand it a little and compare if you have a piece of known walnut on hand. But I agree with Hank, waiting for Edgar is probably your best bet...

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sorry, but I can't be sure about this one either. I'm not sure where I got this blank, but it was that size when I did, so I didn't cut it from a larger piece.

When I packed your box, I filled the empty space with several misc shorts and this just happened to be one of the extra pieces that I packed.

I do have several Claro Walnut blanks that I got from Mark James in the estate sales boxes he offered and also a few from Lou Metcalf's stash after his passing, but I don't think this piece was from either of those lots. It does look a lot like claro though, but I can't be certain.

My suggestion would be to tell your friend that it's "Pretty Wood, possibly some type of walnut that made a stop in Texas for a while during its process of metamorphosing into this awesome pen" :)

Edgar

Timber Ripper

My suggestion would be to tell your friend that it's "Pretty Wood, possibly some type of walnut that made a stop in Texas for a while during its process of metamorphosing into this awesome pen" :)

Edgar

I like that!
I'm going to go with the "metamorphosing" theory :biggrin:

Thanks again Edgar

Timber Ripper

Pardon the poor photo quality.
This is how the mystery wood turned out.
It is on a sierra pen kit with 8 coats of thin CA
Based on the smell while turning, it did have that distinctive walnut aroma.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0057.jpg
    IMG_0057.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 79
Top Bottom