Need Help with Laser Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

First of all --- Happy Thanksgiving to ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm retired and on a limited budget - especially for pen turning; with 2 lathes, a heap of tools, over 200 kits and well over 300 blanks, the boss (my wife) says no more! I am interested in a Neje or other similar type of device. I need the benefit of your collective experiences. Pens are ALL that I want to engrave. So, what is the LEAST EXPENSIVE unit which will allow me to do "professional" looking engraving?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

First, the wattage you need depends on the material you engraving. (Acrylics require a lot more than wood, and metal is pretty much out of reach of units with less power than 40W.) Price goes up as the laser power goes up, so you can get decent results on certain materials with the cheapest unit, but other materials will need a higher power (thus more expensive) unit to get the professional looking results you mention.

Second, there are 2 fundamental types at the low end: the square box variety, with 1W, 1.5W and 3W lasers, and the "two arms" variety, with 3.5W, 7W and 20W lasers.

There are jigs that have a mandrel to hold your pen barrel(s) and some method of converting the "flat" X-Y engraving action into cylindrical X-Ø (so the mandrel rotates, turning your barrel underneath the laser). I know of two different jig designs for each type of engraver (the square box type and the two arm type).

Mike Shortness designed and makes a jig for each type, those are sold by MagicBob (the T Shadow Company).

Benson Pace also designed and makes a jig for each type, those are sold in USA by Nancy McEntire (NMC Lasers).

I have one of each type of engraver - a NeJE 1500 square box type, with a Shortness pen jig, and a NeJe Master 20W two-arm type with a Benson Pace jig.

TonyL

I just bought the $150 with the jig. I think it came to 224.
I have 2 1w box types but I having trouble with the software.

Reactions: DrD

SteveJ

I have a 1A box for with the jig from tshadow. It is capable of engraving most wood pens, but if I are to go that route again I would opt for a more powerful laser. It is possible to create your own jig with a little ingenuity. The cost of going to the two arm style, which gives you car greater capacity and power, is probably worth it. It can be used for pens as well as almost 6x6 inches of engraving. The box units only engrave about 1x1.

Magicbob

If you can swing it, I would go with the 7 watt from nmclasers.com and our jig at tshadow.com.
the 20 watt does not engrave well, the 7 will do woods, acrylics and even corian.

SteveJ

If you can swing it, I would go with the 7 watt from nmclasers.com and our jig at tshadow.com.
the 20 watt does not engrave well, the 7 will do woods, acrylics and even corian.

I had no idea the 7W would do corian - my guess is that you would need to color fill to make it visible.

bsshog40

So I thought the 20w would engrave also by turning the laser power down. What have you found? I was thinking of getting a 20w but if it's no good for engraving also, no need to get it.

SteveJ

Thank you Duncan for that video. Could you show the Benson Pace jig? I've looked for any video showing it in motion to no avail. That is a pretty sharp engraving for an engraver which people say wrong do engraving!

duncsuss

Thank you Duncan for that video. Could you show the Benson Pace jig? I've looked for any video showing it in motion to no avail. That is a pretty sharp engraving for an engraver which people say wrong do engraving!
I don't have video of the jig in use, but there are several posted to FaceBook groups. If you don't do FB perhaps there are some on YouTube.

duncsuss

Thanks Duncan! Is it possible to turn the power down and get a lesser depth of engraving?
Absolutely. This had the laser power set to 40% and a burntime of 2mS. The power can be set to 10% - 20% - 30% etc up to 100%. The minimum time setting is 1mS.

Even on the minimum power/minimum time settings, it's likely to burn through paper - so if leaving a faint scorch mark on something is one of your objectives, you probably should get a lower powered laser. I'm thinking of getting a 3.5W laser head that I could fit if I ever want to do lightweight stuff.

duncsuss

@SteveJ - here's a link to the facebook group set up by Nancy McEntire for the Benson Pace Master Jig. It's a private group so you'll have to ask to join if you want to see the videos posted there (some by users, some by Pace himself.)

bsshog40

Absolutely. This had the laser power set to 40% and a burntime of 2mS. The power can be set to 10% - 20% - 30% etc up to 100%. The minimum time setting is 1mS.

Even on the minimum power/minimum time settings, it's likely to burn through paper - so if leaving a faint scorch mark on something is one of your objectives, you probably should get a lower powered laser. I'm thinking of getting a 3.5W laser head that I could fit if I ever want to do lightweight stuff.
Cool. I have the 3.5w laser right now. It engraves at a perfect depth for what I'm doing now. I just wanna get the 20w so I can do deep or dial down to what the 3.5w does without changing lasers.

Ron Ling

I think this thread has convinced me to purchase the 7w. I just need the ability to engrave acrylic pens.
thanks, this is very helpful in making my decision.

Top Bottom