Need Help To ID Wooden Pallet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

OKLAHOMAN

Recived a 1/4 Pallet of parquet flooring from Indonesia at work today and we always throw the 1/4 palletts away because most of the time they are made of a very flimsy white wood , but today they were on this 1/4 pallet (a 1/4 pallet is about 24 inches x 24 inches) the wood has a very rich look and is very dense and heavy. Anybody have a clue as to what it is !!!!!!!

2006821225920_DSCF0015.jpg

2006821225958_DSCF0016.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beamer

My first bet would be probably some form of mahogany. But that's because i've heard tales of mahogany being used on pallets.

Though, the grain and color on the first pic makes me think ipe, which would be interesting. That would fit the density and weight. Ipe is sometimes called Ironwood in many places. It sure weighs a ton and it is very dense. The grain and color sure looks like the grain on a piece of ipe that I have. The 2nd pic is what's throwing me - THAT looks more like mahogany to my eyes.

tnilmerl

No, Luan is not that dense or heavy. Pretty light weight, comparatively speaking. Grain looks a little too open for mahogany. I've not seen ipe in person, but it does seem to fit the location, weight, color, and overall description.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Wouldn't try to venture a guess based on the pictures but unless you have alreadt done some dismantling or cutting I wouldn't base "density" on just the weight of the pallet.
Alot of them are built with green wood.
Regardless what the species, it kind of looks boring.
If you try to make a pen or two out of it don't make the mistake as so many others do, cutting straight gain.
They just wind up with a lot of boring blanks that don't sell.
Even some of the most unfigured woods reveal thier true beauty when cut cross or bias.
What do you have to lose?

RogerGarrett

Believe it or not, it looks and sounds (description of weight) like Lyptus. A natural hybrid of Eucalyptus grandis and E. urophylla, Lyptus® thrives in the warm climate of Brazil, permitting harvesting in just 14 to 16 years as opposed to 50 to 70 years in colder regions.

I was given some of this stuff from my friend who runs a custom woodworking operation here in town - he said both of the very large pieces he gave me were used to support the wood order he was shipped. It was dirty and heavily dented - but it was 1.25 inches thick - so a quick planing revealed a wood that looked startling similar to what you have pictured. It also looks a lot like mahogany - but is very heavy and dense.

Best,
Roger Garrett

OKLAHOMAN

Thanks for all input as to the species of this wood and I will have to agree with Eagle after compiling all the data recived from everone, looking on the internet,giving the wood a real good hard look it is indeed INDONESIAN PALLET WOOD FROM THE VERY RARE INDONESIAN PALLET WOOD TREE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom