Need help on wood identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

Hi guys. So I had this blank for a few years. I originally bought 2, they were a "mystery burl". I made 1 right away, and today I made the other. I keep wondering what it is. What I know:
1. It is DEFINITELY a rosewood
2. Smells similar to Cocobolo, but sweeter and a bit more spicier.
3. Looks black but when you take a picture it pops red.
4. It has alot of little sparklies in it, silica perhaps?
5. 1 guy told me he thought it was Brazilian rosewood burl
6. I bought it from an old woodturners estate sale

Here are pictures.
20191123_150732.jpg
Screenshot_20200422-124139_Messages.jpg
20200422_205430.jpg
20200422_205501.jpg
20191123_150732.jpg
Screenshot_20200422-124139_Messages.jpg
20200422_205501.jpg
20200422_205430.jpg
20200422_205307.jpg
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20200422_205412.jpg
    20200422_205412.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 94
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

The other pen I made with it had a bunch of circles in it like bubbles. I will try to find pictures of it if it will help. I should also clarify the wood looks dark red/black not all black, until you take a picture or look at it just right.

Mortalis

I have some Honduran Rosewood and it is very very dark. I believe Brazilian Rosewood is similar.
Pardon the fingerprints :mad:
I did quick search on Google and the Cocobolo burl pics very similar to yours. I didnt link them as they are on a different forum.

Attachments

• Penache in Honduran Rosewood Burl2.jpg
    Penache in Honduran Rosewood Burl2.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Joebobber

I've turned Hond rosewood and this definitely isn't. I've never turned Brazilian and I thought that was redish with a sweet smell. Cocobolo burl makes sense for sure. Very nice pen by the way!

Joebobber

Yeah some of it DEFINITELY does, the Burmese Padauk I think. I think lilac root and rosebush root smell like that type of amboyna burl as well.

Dehn0045

Possibly logwood. Logwood extract was a prized dye in the past. After I turned the piece that I had, when I washed the chips/dust off my hands/arms my skin turned black. I found that it was due to the reaction with the high pH of the soap (soda ash is typically used in the dye making process). Luckily I had a lemon in the fridge, the acid reversed the darkening effect. It was a very strange ordeal, something I never have experienced with any other wood.

Joebobber

That's very strange... i have a 2x2 that is kind of like that. It looks like african blackwood until you turn it, then it's a red, until you put a finish of any type on it.

Dehn0045

the problem with Brazilian rosewood is that everyone wants to call their stuff Brazilian rosewood because it is so rare. And since cocobolo burl is more rare than honduran rosewood people will try to call HRB coco. Then there are non rosewoods that people call rosewood because they look like rosewood but aren't actually rosewood (i.e. patagonia rosewood). An ambitious wood seller might try to rebrand his Patagonia Rosewood as Brazilian Rosewood -- I'm sure it has happened. Not saying that what you have is not brazilian rosewood, I'm just saying be highly skeptical of items that people are selling labeled as brazilian rosewood (and to a lesser extend coco burl), there is a lot of incentive to give it a certain name.

Joebobber

Oh yeah I agree. Even just any type of burl. You see guys selling something as a burl that is clearly not a burl. The piece in question I bought was bought as a mystery burl from an estate auction of an old turner. I bought 2 for $20. A friend of mine said he thought it was Brazilian. I just noticed the smell when cut. Honestly I don't care what "name" something has, as long as it looks nice. First time I turned amboyna burl I was so worried I would mess it up...

howsitwork

Looks good and hopefully was pleasant to turn.A nice scent always helps, I like Walnut am a bit puzzled by smell of "red roses" as opposed to white of yellow ones??

But it's a good description of the smell and could remind a man of the need to buy some " brownie points" by getting some for SWMBO šŸ˜šŸ˜ which I may need to do shortly , just saying guys ( and girls to be PC )

Top Bottom