Need Help in Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am trying to cast my own blanks using PR. I print on photo quality label, let dry 24hrs, place on tube and put 3 coats of CA, let gas off 24 hrs, cast in PR and within a few hours Im seeing the tube, like the label shrinks. Once I did just the PR and let it sit, another time I used a vacuum system to remove the air bubbles, just a household vacuum packer that doenst pull much vacuum but it did pull air from the resin, Im wondering if I shouldn't go back to alumilite. Any help would be appreciated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glenspens

i use pr with 95 % to the good ...i don't seal with ca, i clear coat or use nothing at all . i let my decal dry over night then cast no pressure or vac. the only time i use ca is if i am putting the decal on the outside of the blank.

Ed McDonnell

There are all sorts of ways that will work. This works for me:

Cast the tube in whitish opaque resin.

Turn to .02 less than finished size (tube will not be visible unless you made the white resin too transparent).

Apply label (I use clear waterslide labels with the white resin supplying "white" where needed, since printers don't print white).

Allow label to dry (for waterslide I let it sit overnight and then give it an hour in a warm toaster oven <150F)

Spray Krylon Crystal Clear Gloss coating from a can after the labelled blank has cooled.

Allow to dry overnight and then give it an hour in a warm toaster oven <150F). Allow it to cool.

Degass my resin with vacuum in it's mixing cup before pouring into the mold.

Pour the resin carefully to not introduce bubbles. DO NOT put the mold with the label / resin under vacuum. If you got bubbles in the resin while pouring, move them away from the blank with a toothpick or something.

That's it. You could probably drop some of my steps and have success, but this process always works for me. Short cutting the process would sometimes work, but sometimes not.

Here's an example of one of mine (using ivory background resin):

View in Gallery

Ed

Jim Burr

Banned
Still wondering...is your problem casting, casting labels, casting decals, casting photos? Have you sealed any of the media in use?

Brass tubes will shine through many objects when clear casting. I have that problem with snakes, feathers and labels. I would recommend spray painting or powder coat the tubes first.

it not only shines through but the reason being is that the label is somehow shrinking if that makes any sense

its_virgil

I've not used photo quality labels but have excellent results using the standard Avery 2"x4" labels. I paint the tubes white so the brass does not show through the labels. Never had a problem with the label itself shrinking.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

navycop

I cast the blank in a color similar to the decal (i.e. yellow for a VA Beach Police Officer badge). Print on clear decal paper. Spray w/Krylon clear. Let dry 24-48 hrs and apply to blank. I might clear cast over it or use CA.

wyone

when applying decals or labels, how do you deal with either the seam from overlap, or from not having it completely wrap around. I have not seen one first hand, but it seams that the seam itself might be distracting from the overall appearance.

Pjohnson

This is a great topic. I have read many posts on decals. My issue is you can tell it is a label after applied and coated with CA. The tip I received but have not tried is limiting my application of Krylon. I had done 2-3 and it was recommended to try one light coat.

On of the original posts or applying the krylon after applying the label is an interesting thought.

I will continue to watch the replies and learn.

Thank you!!!

navycop

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2505.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg
These are a few decal pens that I did. They are printed on inkjet, sprayed with krylon and couple layers of CA over top.

Top Bottom