Need Experienced Opinions on a new lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello,

So I am fairly new to turning, and so far I have only turned about 30 pens. I started turning pens about 2 years ago, and did about 1 or 2 pens a week for 4 or 5 months, and then I took a fairly long break from making pens because of college and just not enough time to make them. The problem is that I started turning with a Craftsman Mini Lathe I bought at Sears Online. The lathe has worked well for what I needed it to do, but just this week the tool rest broke (it was a two piece part and the screws that held it together bent). Long story short I spent 3 hours talking to different people at sears, sears parts, and craftsman only to find out that SEARS no longer carries that lathe and does not have replacement parts available. The most infuriating part was that the customer service rep told me that the lathe was manufactured 10 years ago and that legally sears doesn't have to maintain replacement parts pass the 10 mark, even though I only bought it in may 2013.
SO, now I'm looking for a new lathe, but I don't want to buy one that I won't be able to buy replacement parts or belts for in 2 years. I've read several of the other reviews on Lathes and have see the opinions on whether to buy a 1/3hp or 1/2hp, twill travel, and even read about who has great customer service. My question is, which lathe will still be around in 2,5, 10 years to supply replacement parts. I really don't want to have another $300 lathe in my shop that I can't get replacement parts for. So who would you recommend? Jet, Rinkon, Delta, Turncraft????

Please help educate this novice in what to look for and what questions to ask, and who will still be here in the future...

thanks for any and all advice.

Gabriel Rivera

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

Rikon has a good midi lathe and it is on sale at Woodcraft for a good price. It is comparable to the Jet midi lathe and a lot cheaper. Although I don't have that lathe I know several that do and are very happy with it. I do have other Rikon products and have found their Customer Service is second to none. They want to take care of their customers.
By the way, welcome to penturning and to IAP. Make the most of the Library - it is a wealth of knowledge and inspiration.
Where in TX are you?
Gordon

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm afraid I can't advise you on the brand but this is one of the great benefits of the Chinese clones.
My lathes are all clones in various guises. Each must have been good enough for several different companies to buy and put their brand on, so now I know that if any of them stop selling / supporting them, then I may have an alternate source.
I suppose the most popular cloned wood lathes are the Jet brand( well at least here in the UK anyway)

Good luck

Skie_M

You could make your own replacement tool rest.

You'll need: Hacksaw, Grinder, cutting oil for hacksaw, Epoxy (or welding equipment and someone who knows how to use it)

Find the measurements for the tool post .... and go to local hardware store and get metal rod in the correct diameter. You'll want a long enough piece to make both the post and the rest that will sit on top.

Cut off a short section for your post and grind a curve inside the "top" of your post to rest the toolrest top section on. You can use the grinder to take the sharp edges off and give you a reasonable flat on top the round bar, if you choose, but most like a nice round bar on top to give better bevel control.

Epoxy the rest on top the post (as a temporary measure) and build up around the base of the connection for added strength, or you can go straight to welding it up (not tack welding ... fillet welding for good strength).

Some people have had plenty of success with a hardwood version that is simply 2 sections of hardwood dowel rod with the parts made in the same way as the steel post version I just mentioned. You want the dowel rod thicker than the post hole, so the bottom part is usually turned down till it fits (sandpaper works fine). Then the top of the post is ground down a bit and epoxy is applied, and the rest that goes on top is screwed down into the post. Epoxy fills the screw hole and the top is sanded nice and smooth.

In the meanwhile, as a much more permanent solution, get the measurements of your post hole and the measurements of your previous toolrest and see if you can get a matching component from another company ... it doesn't have to be a sears toolrest to work in a sears lathe, it just has to fit.

Hope to see you back up and running soon!

[edit - side note for a wooden tool rest]
If you elect to keep the wooden rest, keep in mind that it's not as sturdy or durable as steel, and that sharp corners on your chisels can do a number on your tool rest surface, which can leave a nasty surprise for your fingers later. Gently round off the corners of your chisels with your sander (or some 500-grit sandpaper) to avoid such surprises.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Rick Herrell right here on IAP makes and sells custom tool rests and are less expensive than the ones you will find at Woodcraft. He will make it to your specifications.
As long as your lathe still runs, this is the least expensive route. If you are really looking for another lathe, keep this one for use with a buffing wheel or for drilling blanks.

Rockytime

Jet, Rikon and Turncrafter are always mentioned. I never hear about the Woodtek midi lathe from Woodworker's Supply. I have used Jet products in the past, although not a wood lathe, and have been very satisfied. I had wanted to purchase the Rikon from Wooodcraft but they only had a demo. which they did not want to sell and were not sure when their next shipment would arrive. I found the Woodtek on Amazon. I liked the description and ordered it. I have been delighted. It is built like a Sherman tank and is very smooth operating. I know it is always a risk purchasing something sight unseen. It is much easier when you can touch and feel the product on the dealer's floor. I only mention the Woodtek because of my satisfaction.

Woodworking | Woodworking Tools | Woodworking Hardware | Woodworker's Supply

Attachments

• 20150819_183956.jpg
    20150819_183956.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 320
I (currently) have 2 lathes. My smaller lathe is a Jet 1014EVS. It's the one I use exclusively for pens and I believe it's well suited for that purpose. Electronic speed control in 3 ranges. For pens I use the high and low ranges. High for turning and low for finishing. Easy belt changes. It's extremely smooth and quiet and the tailstock/headstock alignment was spot on out of the box. Not sure if it's still in production, though. The replacement is a 1015 (?).

jsolie

My lathe is an old Jet JWL-1236. It's the only lathe I've had and I've had it for quite some time. It hasn't been in use the entire time I've had it, but it's held up pretty well to bowls, boxes, vases and pens (of course). If I had to get another one today, I'd have the Jet 1221 on my short list.

PenPal

If your worry is if in future you need a belt always available cheaper than the makers replacement anyway, bearings the same story all working parts should be fixable I drive a car that was car of the yr and discontinued the next year had it since 2001 love it two yrs ago I bought and enjoy a Mercedes 1999 all wheel drive 4 wheel drive 200, 000 kms on it love it as well. My metal lathe was made in 1966 use it all the time the firm folded after 50 yrs 5 or so yrs after I bought mine 2nd hand. Love it too.

The tool rest piece of cake then enjoy the lathe.

Peter.

KenV

Hello,

So I am fairly new to turning, and so far I have only turned about 30 pens. I started turning pens about 2 years ago, and did about 1 or 2 pens a week for 4 or 5 months, and then I took a fairly long break from making pens because of college and just not enough time to make them. The problem is that I started turning with a Craftsman Mini Lathe I bought at Sears Online. The lathe has worked well for what I needed it to do, but just this week the tool rest broke (it was a two piece part and the screws that held it together bent). Long story short I spent 3 hours talking to different people at sears, sears parts, and craftsman only to find out that SEARS no longer carries that lathe and does not have replacement parts available. The most infuriating part was that the customer service rep told me that the lathe was manufactured 10 years ago and that legally sears doesn't have to maintain replacement parts pass the 10 mark, even though I only bought it in may 2013.
SO, now I'm looking for a new lathe, but I don't want to buy one that I won't be able to buy replacement parts or belts for in 2 years. I've read several of the other reviews on Lathes and have see the opinions on whether to buy a 1/3hp or 1/2hp, twill travel, and even read about who has great customer service. My question is, which lathe will still be around in 2,5, 10 years to supply replacement parts. I really don't want to have another $300 lathe in my shop that I can't get replacement parts for. So who would you recommend? Jet, Rinkon, Delta, Turncraft????

Please help educate this novice in what to look for and what questions to ask, and who will still be here in the future...

thanks for any and all advice.

Gabriel Rivera

Might that have been the 22106 3 speed mini lathe???

Terminology -- the tool rest is the horizontal metal that on sets a tool on, an is attached to a round rod that slides up and down in a whole on another part - the banjo

The banjo is the label given to the metal assembly that slides back and forth (and in and out) on the lathe bed (also known as ways).

Tool rests commonly break at the junction with the round rod -- replacements are available from 3rd parties.

Banjos also break, and are harder to find/make replacements for. ereplacements.com has worked for me on some odd parts on occasion.

csr67

I'd strongly recommend the Rikon 70-100 lathe. I upgraded to the Rikon from a HF mini, and it made this hobby so much more enjoyable! Look for the Rikon on sale for $100 off at Woodcraft from time to time. I think I bought mine on sale for $399, and it's worth every penny. I added a custom tool flat top (I use carbide tools) tool rest from Rick Herrell on this site, and I could not be happier with my purchases.

Sylvanite

Delta spare parts are available now. The dark period is over.:)
Well, I just checked some of the usual supplies (dewaltservicenet, toolpartsdirect, ereplacementparts), and they still show the part that broke on my Delta lathe as discontinued, obsolete, and no longer available. So, I'd have to disagree that spare parts are now available. For me, however, the point is moot now. After three years of trying to fix my lathe but being unable to get parts, I junked it.

I have a long memory, and I won't support companies that abandon their customers. I don't plan to buy any Delta brand equipment ever again.

Sadly,
Eric

Top Bottom