Need everyones help (update 7-5-06)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWK5150

Jim
I will be keeping up with the updates as we progress more. No offence taken actually people tell me at work all the time my life is like a soap opera with some of the things that happen. Sarah was actually in a accident 4 months ago and well she just finished rehab for that and then now this. Does it ever end?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Don,
I'm glad to hear she's making such good progress. Please let her know there are a lot of "strangers" who have her in their prayers!

DWK5150

Jim,

She knows actually. My moms students have been praying for her also. They also made her get well soon cards to. She is actually trying to figure out what she can do to thank you to everyone. She was thinking of doing a sketch for my moms students and as for here I have no idea cause she hasnt told me.

53Jim

Don,
When she is at not at her best, that's when she needs the most support. It gets hard to do sometimes, but I have seen the results.

There will be peaks and valleys, but hopefully the peaks outweigh the valleys.

Continued good luck to all concerned...

Don, I've been away for a while and just read about Sarah. My prayers are with all the family. I too am like others, wanting constant updates! This can be a very slow healing process but time will be on your side. Just be patient. She is sooo fortunate to have you stand by her. Praying for all of you!

BigRob777

Don,
I have to start reading casual conversation more often. I am really sorry about your girlfriend and wish I could have been praying for her all along. I will do it now. I firmly believe in God's power to heal and my prayer is that He makes this happen for her. I will read all of your updates after dinner. May God bless you and Sarah with health and peace. In Jesus' Name, Amen!
Rob

JimGo

Don,
Your distraction is well warranted, and we don't blame you a bit! I'm glad to hear that she's making some real progress. I hope the headaches die down soon.

JimGo

Don,
As always, Sarah has best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery. Please remember two things: 1) the doctors really do want what's best for hereven though it may not always seem that way, and 2) there will always be set-backs along the road to recovery. But every time a set-back comes and you or she begin to be frustrated, remember to look at the wonderful progress she's made in this short period of time; had she not been making progress, there couldn't have been a set-back.

If you think she'll be receptive, please wish her a Happy Thanksgiving (a bit early) from all of us!

53Jim

Originally posted by JimGo
But every time a set-back comes and you or she begin to be frustrated, remember to look at the wonderful progress she's made in this short period of time; had she not been making progress, there couldn't have been a set-back.

Very well put. I wish I would have thought of that.

JimGo

Don,
From what I understand, the brain takes a little longer to heal than most other body parts. So, with that in mind, it sounds like she's making some great progress!

Best of luck for a Thanksgiving release. If it doesn't happen, I'm sure it will be for the best, and the fact that you and her brother will be there will mean a lot to her.

wayneis

Jim,

As much as you want her to be out don't push it. The most important thing is when she gets out keeping her out and feeling better every day. I can tell you from my experence that leaving early and having a set back is no fun and is very frustrating. You should all set back and consider where she has come from in such a short time, I would say that this is a miracle. Just help her hang in there and support her just like you have been doing, later on thats what she will remember and be so grateful for. Its times like these that you realize how important each and every day is.

Wayne

JimGo

Don,
Congratulations! I know the 26th isn't quite the timeline you had hoped for, but it's still an amazing sign of the progress she's making. I hope being home will bring all of her happy memories flooding back.

DWK5150

Jim,

No the 26th isnt what we were really hoping for but it will definetly do. Her brother is flying in to stay with her for the holiday. She doenst know he is comoing so going to be a surprise for her. She is getting more and more every day so that is good.

JimGo

Don,
You're right, there probably will be a lot more days like Sunday. But it's all part of the progress, and it sounds like you're doing the right thing; giving her space when she needs it, being a shoulder to lean on when that's all she wants, and lending a hand whenever she'll let you. It's going to be frustrating for both of you, but it sounds like you're both strong enough to pull through. I hope she's adjusting well with her daughter.

Don, thaqnks for the updates and to know that your g-friend is steadily improving. My prayer is that not only that she recovers but that you will continue to be a source of strength and that your strength will not fail. Merry Christmas

JimGo

Don,
How big is your lathe? If it can turn about 12" long segments, you can use the CSUSA kit to make a cane. I did one for an Aunt for Christmas. BTW, I haven't forgotten about my promise to you...our baby came a few days earlier than expected, and I haven't gotten back out to my shop since. But it will be coming soon!!!

DWK5150

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Don,
How big is your lathe? If it can turn about 12" long segments, you can use the CSUSA kit to make a cane. I did one for an Aunt for Christmas. BTW, I haven't forgotten about my promise to you...our baby came a few days earlier than expected, and I haven't gotten back out to my shop since. But it will be coming soon!!!

Jim,

Its a small wilton I think max is 12". ill have to look into CSUSA kit to see what it is. I didnt think you would forget it and I knew you had the little one on the way. BTW how is the baby doing anyways? Well heck when ever you get it here Ill get it out to her along with a few other things I have for her.

JimGo

Don,
Here is a pic of the cane I made. Each section is approximately 10.5" long, and the overall length is about 34". I used a mish-mash of components to get what is shown in the pics; if you scroll down a bit in the thread, you'll find links to each of the components I used.

(helps to add the link!)
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11523

Hope this helps!

Alex is well, thanks. He's growing quickly, and doing stuff that he's not supposed to be able to do yet. For example, he's 2 weeks and 5 days old, and for at least the last week he's been lifting his head up to look around when he's on his stomach, and turning himself on his side. He can't quite flip over to his stomach yet, but he's getting there. He's actually been able to lift up his head and hold it up for several seconds since birth. It was kind of freaky, when the child-care classes tell you that he won't be able to do it, then I had him on my chest the night he was born and he picked his head up to look at me!

The weather is supposed to be decent Thursday and Friday, so I hope to get out one or both nights to do some turning. Thanks for your patience!

DWK5150

Hey thanks for the link Jim. I remember seeing that when you posted it. Hmmm just might have to turn it might self doesnt look to difficult to assemble with the hardware. Now fo the tough decision what do I make it out of?

Glad to hear he is doing well. Yeah if hes lifting his head and looking around already thats really good and if he is able to role onto his side thas excellent. Hope you have the house baby proofed early cause I thnk your gonna need it.

No hurry Jim just when ever you get to it is fine. I dont have anything totally set yet to ship to her and well i have to order a few things from CSUSA to make her a cane as a a surprise.

JimGo

Don,
It's pretty easy to assemble, just take your time. I made the mistake of mixing up the adapters (remember, big goes with big, small with small, not the other way around like I did), but since they are solid brass, I was able to turn them down to a consistent size. If done properly and with a long enough tool rest, you can get a very nice, gentle taper to the cane rather than the figure 8 shapes that I came up with. I'm sure yours will turn out great!

If you get stuck for materials, I have some 1.5"x18" pieces of Lignum Vitae and a few 1.5" and/or 1.25"x18" pieces of Cocobolo that I'd be willing to part with for this project. You can also check eBay for auctions by Chitswood; that's where I got the Cocobolo I used in my cane (assuming you like Cocobolo).

DWK5150

Jim,
Good point will have to remember not to mix up the adaptors. Actually I dont have a tool rest for my lathe that big but I will make one so I can get that nice gentle taper.

Hhmmmmm lignum vitae I have actually never turned before. I dont really want to use cocobolo cause I use a lot of that for finger boards on my guitar necks I was actually thinking some nice curly maple or something then I can dye it and really make it pop. I think she would like that cuase shes the kind of girl the more she can stand out the better. Shes very out going and not affraid of anything.

JimGo

Don,
Please tell her to hang in there, and let her know we're all pulling for her to make a speedy and full recovery.

- Jim

Thanks for posting the update Don. Very sorry to hear about the paralysis but tell her it isn't the end of the world. My sister has been in a chair for 32 years and does everything anyone else does except walk. Will continue to pray for her recovery.

Thanks for posting the update Don. Very sorry to hear about the paralysis but tell her it isn't the end of the world. My sister has been in a chair for 32 years and does everything anyone else does except walk. Will continue to pray for her recovery.

DWK5150

Originally posted by Bev Polmanteer
<br />Thanks for posting the update Don. Very sorry to hear about the paralysis but tell her it isn't the end of the world. My sister has been in a chair for 32 years and does everything anyone else does except walk. Will continue to pray for her recovery.

Yeah I know it isnt the end but its tough and its very very tough for her cause she is a ballet dancer and she has danced her whole life. That is killing her right now not being ablt to dance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom