Need Bushing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I have acquired some Taper Pen Kits, they are an old woodcraft kit #124738 and am looking for a set of bushings.

Turn between centers and use a caliper to match OD with the pen hardware. Or if you know someone with a metal lathe, they can make you a set. The IAP app doesn't have the bushing dimensions, you would have to measure the hardware OD. If you don't have luck finding some or can't turn between centers, PM me and I could make you a set.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

randyrls

Look for a bushing that fits the tube and turn down using calipers as Dan said. If you have one that is a bit too small, tape can be used to adjust the fit.

magpens

The Taper kit is listed in the tables by Wayne R (see IAP home page Bushings and Tubes). . I see that it is a two barrel kit. . However, the 4 critical dimensions are missing so you will have to determine those by measuring your kit component pieces.

The brass tubes used are 8mm, which have OD of 0.311", and ID of 0.286" (bushing insert size).

There are quite a few other kits based on 8mm tubes. . One that comes to mind is the PSI Slimline Pro kit. . Possibly you can modify a set of Slimline Pro bushings to suit your purposes, or get someone else to do that modification for you.

But, as suggested above, you could use calipers during the turning process to get your sizes right ... a bit time-consuming but I do it all the time (I never buy bushings anymore).

philipff

I have acquired some Taper Pen Kits, they are an old woodcraft kit #124738 and am looking for a set of bushings.
I quit using bushings about 5 years ago! Measure the pieces at the joints, turn and measure the blank until you get the correct diameter and you are done! P

Charlie_W

Yup, turn your own from Corian or similar solid surface material. I have also turned bushings from a tight grained hardwood and sealed with CA.
And yes, turn using calipers. Remember to allow for sanding and or finish build up.

keithlong

I turned one of these pens today between centers and used my calipers. They are nice kits, and I have been making pens for 10 years now and this was the first one I ever made. I don't know how they but my wife claimed this one for her work pen, heck I did not even get to make a pic of it. it was straight forward.

Top Bottom