need a smaller tool rest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnnyJeep

Have an old craftsman lath with original tool rest. It is too big for pen turning. Problem is, the hole in the banjo is 7/8 and except for the modular rests, i can't find one. Can i drill it to one inch or will that weaken it too much? Or am i just not looking in the right places for the 7/8 ones?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

In addition to continuing to search, there are two other options you could explore:

1. Rick Herrell is a great machinist who could make a custom tool rest for you. You would need to provide detailed measurements for your lathe - if interested, contact him to find out what information he needs to know. He made a replacement tool rest for my first lathe and it was a beauty - - almost too nice to use!

2. You could make your own. Rick Morris has several YouTube videos (search for 'Rick Turns') on making toolrests using common materials purchased from hardware stores - mild steel rod and angle stock. H shows that the best way to attach the crossarm to the post is by welding or brazing, and if you are set up for that process, you could even get fancy and add a tool steel rod at the top of the crossarm. I don't do either and I'm not particularly interested in learning that new skill, so when I made a 3" tool rest, I opted to drill and tap a hole in the post, and attach the crossarm with a screw and lockwasher. That arrangement has worked well for me, but I think the fact that the crossarm is only 3" means that joint doesn't get stressed excessively, and I'm not sure it would be a good way to go if you are making something longer. And because the crossarm is mild steel, I do have to periodically file away nicks (but that's part of routine lathe maintenance).

KenB259

I second Rick Herell , work he does is top notch and his customer service is the best you'll find anywhere.

egnald

I use Rockler 6 and 4 inch posts. They have a 5/8 post. They might work as is but may need to be sleeved with a motor shaft type of adapter to fit better in a 7/8 hole. - Dave

jttheclockman

You can go the Ebay route and get one for around $30. Or place a bid.

Now I have seen a few of those older craftsman lathes and the banjo is pretty beefy. I see no reason you could not drill out to 1" diameter without sacrificing strength. You are talking 1/16" all around.

Last edited:

monophoto

That is an idea

, but still new to this and don't know what I'll be needing after I move up from pens.
Exactly - which is why you should leave yourself as many options as possible. Cutting down a longer tool rest prevents it from being used in future applications requiring a longer tool rest. Drilling out the banjo to accommodate a short tool rest with a larger post means that you can no longer use your existing toolrest.

So that means that the options available to you are to either purchase a short tool rest that fits your lathe, or else opt for a custom-made short tool rest, either one that you make yourself, or one that it made for you by a machinist.

Top Bottom