Need a replacement Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dozuki

I will be retiring soon and i am looking to downsize everything that i can. I currently use a midi lathe and am looking for something with a much smaller foot print. All I use my lathe for is making pens. So I am looking at small metal lathes. I am looking at the Grizzly 4x6 Micro metal lathe. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this little lathe or may have other options that aren't crazy expensive. Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

paul

magpens

Just my opinion .......

You should not buy the Grizzly 4x6 Micro Metal Lathe. . It's not even in the "toy category", IMHO.

The distance between centers of 6" is just not long enough, and the spindle bore of 0.39" is way too small.

Spend a few more dollars and get a Sieg 7x12 at least ... preferrably 7x14

leehljp

Member Liaison
I agree with Mal. I started off with a Taig, similar to a basic Shurline. I could make pens but the options were very limited. There comes a point in which you can get a lathe so small that you can make one, but the fun is in "can I make a pen with a lathe this small" rather than" how well can I make a pen". Part of the problem is the options needed to make different kinds of pens. You may not need lots of options but with a bit larger lathe, they are there if needed.

magpens

@dozuki

The thing about the Sieg is that there are a whole host of accessories/spare parts available .... I am thinking of LittleMachineShop.com. .
Grizzly and Harbor Freight may also have suitable accessories.

Also, the Sieg has a well-proven history as a reliable lathe design. . Sure, it costs a little more, but it is very well worth it to have the much-expanded horizons to your capabilities. . I have been using a Sieg 7x14 for 12 years and I am totally happy with it. . I have bought lots and lots of accessories (chucks, tool posts, live centers, etc., etc.) from LMS. . Have made about 2000 pens on it. . It is still working just fine.

When you are choosing a lathe for your retirement project work, the last thing you want is to have a lathe that will cause you frustrations and serious limitations in how far you can go. . With the Sieg you will have unlimited potential (for pen work).

You should take a serious look at the lathes and accessories that LMS offers. . And they are a great company to deal with. . The person named Chris (if he is still there) is a wonderful resource person.

Last edited:

dozuki

Watched several reviews of the sieg 7x14 and it looks very good and it seems that everyone has enjoyed using it and a wide range of accessories is always good. Magpens I think i will be going with the sieg over the harbor freight versions. Do you think that the 7x12 would be an acceptable option. I'm looking for as small a footprint as possible and usability. Thanks for all the info it is a great help.

magpens

@dozuki
Yes, a 7x12 will be adequately usable. . I do prefer the 7x14 and I have used both.

The thing is, when the specs say 7x12, you may not actually be able to turn a 12" long workpiece.
There is always some "iffiness" about manufacturers' specs, as you probably know.

More to the point, if you have a conical center in your headstock and you have a live conical center (or a Jacobs chuck + live center) in your tailstock, you won't be able to fit a 12" workpiece into the available space .... more likely it will be about 7" to 8" at the most.

Also consider using a Jacobs chuck in your tailstock for drilling your blanks. . With the Jacobs chuck and a jobber length drill bit, you are already using up more than 6" of length before you even insert your blank for drilling.

The other thing is, you always end up wanting to do things which are beyond the specs (however reasonable) of your original purchase.
That's just the way things go for everybody. . So it is wise to plan for more at the beginning, if you can afford the space on your bench.

I am happy to tell you what I routinely use on my 7x14. . One thing is a 4" 4-jaw headstock chuck, in place of the factory 3" 3-jaw.
The chuck changeover cost me about $140, but I like the 4-jaw much better. . One thing it gives me is the capability to insert a 0.83" diameter pen blank all the way through the chuck and into the headstock spindle. . The 3" 3-jaw will only take about a 0.65" diam blank. . The larger diameter capability allows me to start my blank drilling (for brass tube) much more accurately .... very important to me.

Ask me any questions you like and I will do my best to answer. . There are lots of other people on IAP with Siegs also . Lots of help. !!

Last edited:

magpens

@Sauerkraut

Is the Jet Pen Lathe still available ? . I seem to recall some threads a few years ago discussing it and mentioning it was not being sold anymore

Can you point me to a picture of the lathe you have ... the Jet Pen Lathe ... please. . Thanks .

dozuki

Thanks for all the input. I think i am definitely leaning toward the 7x14. A little extra space is always a good thing. I think it will be a good fit and take up less space than rykon.

magpens

@dozuki

I am quite sure that you will be very pleased with a Sieg 7x14.

It is a metal-turning lathe by design of course. . It readily and easily excels for making pens in wood, acrylic, metal, etc.

If you have only ever used a wood-turning lathe before, you will be very excited about the new capabilities and accuracy you have access to.

Don't forget to budget a little for a couple of new cutting tools, but these will be much cheaper than the wood-turning equivalents.

dozuki

Oh now I'm getting excited. I used to use a wood turning lathe and really liked it. I'm looking foreword to being able to make metal pens. Have you or anyone used truestone on one of these lathes.

magpens

@dozuki
YES .... I have made pens from TruStone by using my Sieg lathe. . Many other IAP members have done so also.

The key is to take it slowly ... very light cuts ... and take your time. . The lathe RPM should be about 400 - 800. . Use round carbide cutting tool.

Sauerkraut

@Sauerkraut

Is the Jet Pen Lathe still available ? . I seem to recall some threads a few years ago discussing it and mentioning it was not being sold anymore

Can you point me to a picture of the lathe you have ... the Jet Pen Lathe ... please. . Thanks .

You recall correctly, they're unfortunately out of production. They were model JPL-358. They use a 0MT mandrel which is damn near impossible to find, but the 3/4"X16TPI mandrel sold by PSI works perfectly.

I love mine for taking to shows due to it's small yet extremely rigid profile. With the exception of the wrenches for adjusting the tool rest and tailstock, they're built like tanks. Although with a 1/6hp motor, they require a lighter hand when doing some serious roughing. Will get a pic of mine shortly.

Sauerkraut

Jet pen lathe with 5" blank in front for size reference. They take up a tiny footprint and are great in a pinch.

Attachments

• IMG_20200611_190209.jpg
    IMG_20200611_190209.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 305

dozuki

Well I was dithering and started watching an exceptional (I think)pen maker on you tube who is based I. Korea and now I am very inspired and the sieg 7x14 will be here in a few days. I hope people don't mind questions about set up. I have heard that these type machines take some set up. Thanks again everyone.

jttheclockman

I know this is an older thread and you had you mind made up before you even posted that a metal lathe is the way you want to go. Unless you are doing kitless and making caps and clips and special things, for making pens a jet mini lathe would have been the way to go. You will be spinning wood chips and plastics and keeping the metal lathe clean and switching from doing metal on it than that stuff. To me is a headache that I would not want. Remember you use oils with metals. Footprint, a 1015 is about same size. Anyway good luck and hope you find your new toy enjoyable.

magpens

Well I was dithering and started watching an exceptional (I think)pen maker on you tube who is based I. Korea and now I am very inspired and the sieg 7x14 will be here in a few days. I hope people don't mind questions about set up. I have heard that these type machines take some set up. Thanks again everyone.
@dozuki

Congratulations !! . I am quite sure you won't regret your purchase one bit !!! . There are no "headaches".

Don't worry about "set up" ... there is not much of that to do, if any. . You just have to get used to the tooling and accessories.

Find a local supplier of those things, if you can .... someone to talk to and a place to look and handle .... in your area should not be a problem ....
.... and familiarize yourself with .... www.LittleMachineShop.com ....

Ask for advice here whenever you need it .... with your 15 years experience on IAP you already know that .

Keep us posted and add a few pictures !!

dozuki

It is true that after all this time I do know that help can be had here for the asking. Everyone is very friendly. It is good to know that there aren't as many growing pains as I expected.

dozuki

Well there was a little hick up with the sieg lath so that gave me a chance to look around a little. The delivery on the sieg was almost $200 so I saw this on line with free delivery. Has anyone used one or heard about them.

Attachments

• D58A4783-A9B2-4931-B151-B494DD5977F7.jpeg
    D58A4783-A9B2-4931-B151-B494DD5977F7.jpeg
    529.8 KB · Views: 262

magpens

The chances are high that the internals are from Sieg.
The exterior is very similar to Sieg.
In one post recently, someone said that a tell-tale sign that a lathe is not a genuine Sieg is if the horizontal drive shaft protrudes from the mounting bracket on the right hand end (just under the lathe bed on the far right side).
This picture does show that to be the case on this lathe.

I have no experience with this particular lathe, but I have been using a Sieg "knock-off" for over 10 years.
I have opened it up, and it does have the "Sieg" name on the printed circuit board that controls the motor speed.
That in itself does not mean much, I guess, but it does tell me that it is probably basically a Sieg.

If I were in your shoes, I would buy this lathe. . I think it will work out fine for you. . Of course, it is impossible for me to give any guarantee.

One think I would like to know if you can possibly tell me is the "power rating" ... on the front panel, does it say 500W ?

I haven't tried looking up this lathe on Amazon, but I will try that now.

EDIT: . Nope. . I clicked on the pic and it does not take me to the Amazon listing. . If you can help me get there I might be able to learn a little more.

Oh ... made some progress doing a Google search .... is this the listing ? . Looks much the same as your pic ...

I see this one has a power rating of 550W, which is good and typical of current Sieg lathes.

Last edited:

magpens

AS I said above, I did find an Amazon listing with pic similar to yours.

So I am going to read what the listing text has to say.

I hope someone else can chirp in on whether they have experience with this lathe ... would be nice to hear some first-hand experience.

Just had an idea ..... why don't you phone Little Machine Shop and talk to a guy named Chris (if he is still working there).
Ask him about this "BestEquip" lathe from Amazon .... and how it compares to other Sieg look-alikes.

Chris is a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to metal working lathes of this style and price range.

magpens

I can see from the pics and the text that this lathe has two things that I did not get with mine and which I wished for:

1. 4" chuck with 3-jaws (I got only a 3" 3-jaw). . The 4" size is really good for pen blanks .... just the right size. . A 3" can be too small for some blanks

2. An "easi-lock" tail stock hold-down (I have to tighten up a nut with a wrench on mine).

If I were in the market for a new lathe I think I would buy this one.

magpens

Have been reading further .... possibly misreading .... on the chuck size one place says 4" while another says 80 mm which is only 3.something inch.

TonyL

This guy does some very in depth reviews (not this video, but he has many others):

More4dan

Harbor freight sells the Seig lathes, they may have one in stock which will save you the shipping cost. I've had the 7x10 model for 4 years and have been very happy with everything but the length. A 7 x 14 would be much better.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

dozuki

Will i have decided to get the central machine shop lathe since i can pick it up and save $200 dollars. Now my question is does anyone know why the 7x10 costs more than the 7x12?

magpens

Possibly because they sell fewer of the 7x10. . DON'T BUY ONE !! . Too short for pen work ... believe it or not. . The 7x12 is just barely adequate by the time you put a Jacobs chuck with drill bit on your tail stock.

magpens

It wouldn't hurt to ask the vendor if you can get a 7x14 in place of the 7x12 .... and for a still lower price !!!!! . LOL !! :D :D

magpens

@NT_2112

Thanks for posting that picture, NT_2112 !!

I have never seen a Sieg lathe with digital readouts on the tail stock and cross feed.

Did you buy those as extra accessories ? . And, if so, where, please ? . I would be grateful for that info as I would like to buy such readouts.
Especially for the tail stock. . Thanks !

NT_2112

@NT_2112

Thanks for posting that picture, NT_2112 !!

I have never seen a Sieg lathe with digital readouts on the tail stock and cross feed.

Did you buy those as extra accessories ? . And, if so, where, please ? . I would be grateful for that info as I would like to buy such readouts.
Especially for the tail stock. . Thanks !

I bought these:

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5675

and

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5879&category=

One could buy various parts from Aliexpress and piece this together yourself. For me, it was better to just buy the kit. Total install time was about an hour. But if you have taken apart your crossfeeds to the exploded part level I will bet you could do the install in 20 minutes or less.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 10.43.49 PM.png

It's a great upgrade IMO, well worth the money.

More4dan

I've used a 7x10 for 4 years making pens. It works, but it's tight for length. It helps to turn the blank round between centers first then you can recess the blank into the headstock to help with drilling. To best do this requires a couple things. You can bore the included 3" 3 jaw chuck to about 0.720". Or replace the chuck with a larger one with a larger bore but this reduces working length. I've done both of these. Third and I think best is to replace the chuck with an ER32 collet chuck that bolts to the spindle. It is shorter than the chuck and passes 20mm stock into the headstock. This has to be the best modification I've made to my lathe.

In hind sight I would have purchased a 7 x 14 or 7 x 16 lathe but I've been pleased with my 7 x 10 for the price.

Pm me if you want to discuss.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom