Need a new DC!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Aces-High

I am in the market for a new dust collector. I am in the basement of my house so fine particle collection is a must, so canister filter is pretty much also a must. And, of coarse, I can't break the bank to buy this. What do you guys use/ suggest? I am checking my local craigslist daily. Found a used Jet 1 1/2 Hp with filter for $500. Not sure that was the best deal. Thoughts? And, Thanks.

Jason

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Jason. My thoughts may be way out in left field from that of others.

I have a Jet Cyclone dust collector - Not positive if 1 1/4 HP or 1 1/2 HP. And I have a Jet overhead air filter.

In all honesty I turn maybe 1-2 pens a month, construct 3-5 blanks a month which necessitates using my Byrnes table saw, Byrnes thickness sander and my disk sander, and I screw up a small amount of additional stupid ideas. Each of the small machines are connected to shop vacs for their bulk of materials. Yes, at times an occasional flurry of caffeine necessitates a bowl or two, but this is not often.

In four years, I have yet to empty my cyclone dust collector. However, I probably change the overhead air filter maybe every 6-8 weeks. It get clogged amazingly fast. Are both needed, yup. But I worry more about my lungs that larger wood chips.

If I had to rebuild my shop knowing what I know now about MY processes, and had to spend a single dollar at a time - I would absolutely buy the overhead air filtration system first, then move on to the cyclone system.

Just an opinion.

Curly

Hard to give you an answer without knowing what you have for or plan to get for equipment. If just a midi lathe and a small bandsaw for pens then the jet will work. If you have a full complement of woodworking machines (bowl turning sized lathe, 10" tables, planer, jointer, router table, sanders, bigger bandsaw etc) then you need at least a 3hp preferably 5hp system. It is in your house and the fine dust you can't see will go throughout the house with possible effects on your loved ones. I suggest you do the long read of Bill Pentz's website to better understand what and why.

Wildman

Not sure will get a warranty with DC you are looking at know can find them new for $550 to $775 depending upon where you buy. Thats why saying for less than $500 might be a bargain if runs and operates well.

Normally will only see problems with a DC within first year. Mine is more than 10 years old and have had to replace on/off switch and took apart and cleaned it once.

Think every wood worker should read Bill Pentz's web site for information but of course have to buy what you can afford. Think most consumer grade DC's will serve you well if can afford a air filtration system too that will also serve you well. This unit very popular with small home shops, but check number of square feet in your shop first to get the best system for size of you shop.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/WEN-3-Speed-Remote-Controlled-Industrial-Strength-Air-Filtration-System-556-702-1044-CFM-3415T/306800806[/FONT]

MRDucks2

Bill Pentz's Website has great information and you will learn a ton. But, at the end of the day CFM at the machine for machine level dust collection is key. You can achieve 1100-1300 CFM with a 4" run to an individual machine. In my shop, moving the connect for the DC really doesn't take any longer than opening and closing blast gates.

I bought the HF bigger dust collector, upgraded the blower wheel for about. $80, built a pretend cyclone separator and will add a pleated filter this year. Will have about $500 in it and not warranty, too.

Will also add a couple of Wen air filters.

Curly

Might want to review Bill's site. You can't pull much more than 425 cfm through a 4" duct and less through flex hose at the static pressures attainable with a home shop DC. You need 6".

Wildman

]Lot of great information at Bill's site, has not been updated to include air filters he does talk abot exhaust fans which is lot less expensive.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/equipment.cfm#Introduction

Bought my HF DC knowing would need a cartridge the 30 micron bag that came with it useless just a Bill explains so ordered a cannister from Wynn before use. I use 4" piping for my Jet 1642 lathe when turning dry wood or whenever sanding on the lathe. Also whenever use my band saw. Bought some couplings & ells from Lowes to connect both machines.

In perfect world would have adequate piping, cyclone, air filter or exhaust fan but in my situation my system works for me![/FONT]

TonyL

I saved some money at bought a shopfox, which had the same or slightly more HP than the comparable Jet. I would buy it again. Their support is very good (to me).
I bought a wall-mounted Rocker which "sucks" poorly. :) This may just be mine.
I have a Jet air filter (over sized for my shop), -does the job; I waited for 15% off.
I did buy the finest (smallest micro bag) to go with the SF.
I also have some wall mount "shop vac" which I am very pleased with and they do not consume any floor space. Vacmaster. Love it.

Top Bottom