Need a chuck recomendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chippa

I had a handle blank split which caused the spiral teeth to snap holding the movable jaws on a barracuda2. Should I just go for a nova g3 and call it a day or is there something else worth getting? My budget is about $200. I appreciate the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

No complaints from me on the G3. I think you can find relatively good deals on it every now and then.

monophoto

I had a handle blank split which caused the spiral teeth to snap holding the movable jaws on a barracuda2.

That sounds like a humongous catch!

Frankly, a catch shouldn't wreck a chuck. I would wonder about a hidden flaw (stress cracking) in the steel from which the spiral was forged.

Chippa

That sounds like a humongous catch!

Frankly, a catch shouldn't wreck a chuck. I would wonder about a hidden flaw (stress cracking) in the steel from which the spiral was forged.

I couldn't agree more but after dealing with the seller of said chuck which I haven't had great experiences with, Im calling it what it is and moving on, not need to add more fuel to the fire.

moke

I got a Hurricane 5" for Christmas from my BIL, I was skeptical, but I have to say, it is now my go to chuck. They are considerably less, so maybe it isn't built as well, but it is 2 years old and still going hard.

darrin1200

I would highly recommend the Oneway Talon Chuck. It's completely made here in Canada, is excellent quality and has lots of jaw options.
If you have a bigger lathe, I would go with the Stronghold chuck.

They are available at Lee Valley.

TonyL

You will have many to choose from. I have found NOVA to go on sale for as much as 40% off their packages. I own 3 Nova chucks. However, I understand that all of the above are excellent. Enjoy your search and new chuck!

JimB

I own or have used all the chucks listed in this thread except the Hurricane. If you are looking for a chuck about the same size as your Barracuda 2 I would go for either the Vicmarc VM100 or the Talon from Oneway. They are far superior to the G3. If you want a larger chuck then the Vicmarc VM120 or the Stronghold from Oneway. The SuperNova2 isn't a bad chuck in the larger range But the VM120 or Stronghold are better. (I own Barracuda 2, G3, Supernova2, Talon and Stronghold. I have used both Vicmarc VM100 and VM 120).

you should also consider what jaws are available for the chucks.

I was going to stay out of this thread, but still having trouble keeping shut.... all of my chucks are the PSI Barracuda (2 I think) except for one from Grizzly that looks just like the Barracuda, but jaws aren't interchangeable and one of the little 3" chucks from PSI... not sure of it's designation.... I've used them for the past 10-15 years with no problem and no failures.... I stayed with them because all my jaws are interchangeable to all of the bodies (except the little one which I use on the Jet1014 and the Grizzly which I use on the Jet1442.... each body is set up with different jaws so I don't have change jaws so often...

I use the Hurricane bowl gouges, but didn't know that Hurricane made a chuck... I would like the single key models, but not to the point that I would go out and buy another bunch of chucks.... is good to know.

sbwertz

I have both the supernova and the G3. I keep the jaws I use the most on the G3 and put the others on the supernova as needed.

Top Bottom