Near Shape Casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

floatslow

I have been playing around with creating molds so that my Alluminite pours are closer to final shape for my section, finials, and windows. The intent being to reduce wasted material and minimize time to turn to the desired shape. I initially tried additively manufacturing with an Elegoo Mars3 (MSLA) {stereo lithography} but the resin did not react well with the platinum based silicone mold material. I have not tried sealing or using organic resin. I subsequently switched to turning delrin rod to the desired shape. I have had most luck casting in a PVC pipe section, but would like to attempt a two part mold next.
I would love to hear of anyone else's experience doing such an activity. I have done a little research on the forums, but wouldn't mind to be pointed to more info and correct terminology.
Thanks - Mark
IMG_4895.jpeg
IMG_4862.jpeg
IMG_5055.jpeg
IMG_4864.jpeg

JohnU

Specific sized molds are great for eliminating wasted resin and time but is only useful for the same pen over and over. In your case with kitless I can see the use. For myself, using different component sets I looked for a system to make all the sizes I needed without changing the set up or mold.

I'm thinking you will probably have to make oversized pieces to cast in silicone, like the red mold maker at Alumilite. That way there is room for imperfections in the cast that would be corrected during the final turning.

Top Bottom