NE amboyna burl stopper!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from writestuff

writestuff

This is a natural edge, amboyna burl bottle stopper. Your comments are welcome. :) amboyna burl 1 stopper-1 (384 x 612).jpg
WS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobalu

I like it. Thanks for sharing. I have a bunch of amboyna burl in a box somewhere that would be just the ticket for making something like this. And I thought I was never going to find a use for it.

writestuff

As requested!

amb brls 10.jpg
Cool. I was wondering where the Natural Edge would play in.
Looks good.
IMG_0587 (912 x 684).jpg
I'm sure that it is not what turners refer to as natural edge, (Bark included), But I'm sure that someone will educate all of us as to what the proper name is. I apoligize if I've ofended any one, But I just don't know what to call it. Thanks to all for looking.:)
WS

Karin Voorhis

Wow! I myself am not a fan what so ever of bottle stoppers not sure why. I even made one and did not enjoy but this one has even myself in pure AWE!

robutacion

View attachment 20751
View attachment 20750
I'm sure that it is not what turners refer to as natural edge, (Bark included), But I'm sure that someone will educate all of us as to what the proper name is. I apoligize if I've ofended any one, But I just don't know what to call it. Thanks to all for looking.:)
WS

G'day WS,

Is indeed a natural edge bottle stopper. What you have there is the outer skin of the burl (top part) not bark! Natural edge is called on turnings where one or both of these are part of the piece, normally the outer edges or the further edges from the center piece, if you know what I mean...!

The effect is quite interesting as in the decorative aspect but I have always believed and preferred bottle stoppers with a smooth surface of the top part. This is mainly due to the fact that, the part of the hand used to insert the stopper is the palm of the hand (normally) which is pressing the stopper from the top in a down or twisting motion so, sharp end stoppers will probably be a bit of a painful exercise for those inserting it, not forgetting those that use the "magic" final touch of a nice "tap" with the palm of the end on the stopper top to make the final seal stage!:biggrin:

This doesn't mean that your idea and execution aren't good, indeed if bottle stoppers weren't made for actual "use", as a decorative piece, that would work really well.:wink:

Cheers
George

writestuff

Thanks fot clearing that up!

G'day WS,

Is indeed a natural edge bottle stopper. What you have there is the outer skin of the burl (top part) not bark! Natural edge is called on turnings where one or both of these are part of the piece, normally the outer edges or the further edges from the center piece, if you know what I mean...!

The effect is quite interesting as in the decorative aspect but I have always believed and preferred bottle stoppers with a smooth surface of the top part. This is mainly due to the fact that, the part of the hand used to insert the stopper is the palm of the hand (normally) which is pressing the stopper from the top in a down or twisting motion so, sharp end stoppers will probably be a bit of a painful exercise for those inserting it, not forgetting those that use the "magic" final touch of a nice "tap" with the palm of the end on the stopper top to make the final seal stage!:biggrin:

This doesn't mean that your idea and execution aren't good, indeed if bottle stoppers weren't made for actual "use", as a decorative piece, that would work really well.:wink:

Cheers
George

I'm a huge fan of woods, and the beauty hidden within and without. This was the only way I could think of to show it off with this piece. Since I'll be keeping this one for my collection, I will have to deal withthe pointy edge when inserting. Thanks again for all your kind comments everyone.
WS (Bob)

dustmaker

Ha ha...now it looks like a half eaten ice cream cone. I have to agree may not be ergonomic as a stopper, but beautiful nonetheless.

Top Bottom