Natural edge Red Oak!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Yesterday afternoon, we were visiting with one of my wife's former coworkers. I have turned a few small things for them in the past so we wanted to take something this time as well.
I had a natural edge Red Oak bowl on the shelf that was roughed out over a year ago. I put it on the lathe Friday evening and turned it to size, sanded and got one coat of tung oil on it. Early Saturday morning, I wiped on another coat of tung oil and sat it in front of a fan to dry. I was able to Beall Buff before leaving around noon.
The bowl is 6" diameter and averages 3.25" tall

Here is the result! They loved it.
Pic 1:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wow! Nicest red oak bowl I have ever seen! Absolutely love it. The form is excellent, the walls look to be very thin (less than 1/4"?) and the finish is excellent, too. Doesn't get any better.

Charlie_W

Wow! Nicest red oak bowl I have ever seen! Absolutely love it. The form is excellent, the walls look to be very thin (less than 1/4"?) and the finish is excellent, too. Doesn't get any better.

Thanks!
You are very close! The wall thickness is between 1/4" and 5/16". I didn't want to go too thin and lose the bark. The bark was strengthened with CA during roughing and also while turning to finish size...and then again before sanding.

Charlie_W

Thanks again!
I have a sister bowl to that one from the other half of that log. It is just a hair larger in size and looks great also.

Top Bottom