Natural edge cherry bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I finally had some shop time last night and this is what came out...my first bowl after a long break (more than a year).

It is not done yet but I can't wait. I have to sand it, finish and part off. Hope I won't mess it up. Twice last night I almost lost this. It flew once (the tenon has bark inclusions and it broke off). I lost a lot of bark due to that mishap [B)]. It is being held together by an oz of crazy glue LOL.

This "small" cherry burl cap has been drying for a couple years now...very hard.

There! I am done with my mandatory new lathe project ;) LOL

Thanks for looking.

20061025183411_P1020824c.jpg

20061025183438_P1020825c.jpg

20061025183454_P1020826c.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Great looking piece Dario. I have been trying to do some natural edge Mesquite and they have given me fits so I know how hard it can be (at least for me).

Dario

Jim,

I used to use a donut chuck to remove the tenon. I have a set up for my 1236 but have to adapt it for the 3520. Not sure if you are familiar with that setup. I usually use another (plastic) bowl on the headstock side to support the bowl I am working on then sandwitch it with the donut chuck.

I am hoping to make my own vacuum chuck in the future and put that vacuum I am using for stabilization to REAL work LOL.

I am planning on finishing it with Tung oil (not real...just the Minwax kind) then buff with Beall buffing system. I bought the setup (also have the bowl buffs) last year and never got to using it...thanks to pen addiction LOL.

Dario

Vick,

This is no picnic either. It is small (about 10") but the inclusions makes the wings resonate as it got thinner. I was bracing myself for a piece to fly anytime while turning.

I love natural edge but it is not for the faint of heart.

Dario

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />Be sure to post finished pics too.

I promise, I will (probably next week).

It is sanded, parted off and received the first coat of "Tung oil"

So far it is looking better and the color is much richer now.

Nolan

I really like that Dario I want to make some bowls out of that Tas Burl I got so maybe I can get some pointers from you sometime.
Nolan

DocStram

Everybody's already said it .... impressive! You don't happen to have a "before" picture do you?
Interestingly enough, I'm working on setting up my vacuum chuck also. Let me know when you start yours.

Dario

Nolan, check you email. I would gladly help if I can but I still consider myself a newbie at this.

Al, I should have taken a pic but forgot. It is just a burl cap about 10" x 2.75" thick. Final dimesions are 9.75" x 2" bowl. As you can tell, I was a miser but that nearly cost me this bowl. My tenon was basically the bark area and it separated at one point and the bowl flew away [:D]. You should have seen me...since it was almost done when it did. BTW, the natural edge of the cap became the bottom of this bowl and the cut area is the top.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Dario
<br />You should have seen me...since it was almost done when it did.

You were wearing your deep sea diving suit, right? [}:)] So you were plenty protected... oh, were you referring to the possible damage to the bowl blank as it hit the concrete? [:0]

DocStram

Dario .... the bowl "flew" away? Nothing like launching a rocket in the shop. The face mask is a good start, what about a helmet or hardhat? I mean at least wear one when you know deep down that you're in the risk zone ... like "maybe" not enough tenon in the chuck. You have kids, know what I mean? Remember my forehead?

Dario

Al,

My fault. There is enough tenon...problem is the tenon is mostly BARK. In my attempt to save as much wood I settled with it (big mistake). Ofcourse the first shock/catch caused most of it to crumble. After fixing it with CA, I went my merry way...the next catch totally peeled off the bark from the wood [B)][:I]...this is the one that launched the bowl. That was fixed with CA once again and everything went fine after that.

I am sharing these in hope that someone will learn from my errors and NOT to endorse my wrong procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom